Visor for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visor for review

Asked around on facebook on the authenticity of this visor. One mentioned it could be a pre war Gauleiter. What can you tell me about it and is it authentic or reproduction?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lenny W; 03-20-2020, 08:41 AM. Reason: Outside image hosting

Repro cap !
    Nick

Comment

hmm i like the hat but visors are a minefield and there are pretty hardcore repros that is so close to the original that its scary but anyways as i said i like the hat (dont take my word for it im no expert on visors) but the eagle im a bit iffy about it looks shady and a bit lacking in details

hmm so i see you got a answer while i was typing like i said hats are scary i only buy hats that is 100% certified real by experts who does not want to kill their name in the collectors community
      Last edited by nordland; 05-17-2016, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Junque of the 4th reich...
        Billbert

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DK0aaLNGak
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

This visor was produced during the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. In fact, it united the worst of both regimes, with substantial savings because it was enough to change the badges and it could be worn both in Berlin and in Moscow.

Comment

Seriously, what is wrong with this cap? I want to learn here.

Comment

enorepap - you made my day

Originally posted by PaulR View Post
                Seriously, what is wrong with this cap? I want to learn here.
                PaulR, we probably sometimes come across a little arrogant over here in the cloth headgear forum (that's how I feel when I go to the "War and Qualification Badges forum"). So thanks for asking the questions that may make this thread also useful for others.

Here are some of the most obvious points to collectors of TR headgear:

1. Materials used: Starting from the visor bill (that has been sand-papered), chin cords, piping, "velvet", lining, sweat shield, brown wool. None of these are even close to period materials. Even the chin cord buttons are fake. The only part that is similar to TR products is the sweat band. Cannot judge from the pics if it's real - but even if it were real, such a sweat band is rarely encountered.

2. The craftsmanship would be a disgrace for any period maker of German headgear. The way the piping sits, the folds, shape. That may not be obvious to those who haven't handled a lot of these, but trust me this one would not have even found admission to a penal battalion (which brings us to the next point).

3. The hat is a fantasy piece. Clearly, the person who made it probably wanted to make a Hitler visor & I assume he worked with old color photos. Well you know how they get this reddish tint over the years... hence the red cap band that did not exist on these caps (that is why enorepap's comment was so amusing for us).

4. All of this is pretty hard to see without experience of course. But there is one dead giveaway on this particular piece and that is the advertised "stirndruckfrei" feature. You will not find a Peküro visor advertising to be "stirndruckfrei" that doesn't show this feature.

Hope that helps a little PaulR... Kurt

Comment

Hi Kurt- no worries! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me. I did not like the uneven wear(sandpaper) to mint contrasts between the cloth pieces and the visor. Also, I didn't like the course fake looking velvet material around the sides.

Comment

They even misspelled "stirndruckfrei" as "stirndruckfraie"...
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Okay I've kept my mouth shut long enough on this matter. I feel as if there are right ways and wrong ways to go about things. There are people in this thread who are obviously more experienced in knowing what makes items authentic or reproduction. Very often I see tons of arrogance from people who know their stuff when instead they should be guiding those and instructing them what to look for. There are people who are just getting into collecting and would appreciate more the passing of knowledge with collecting rather than snarky comments insulting others. All it really does is push people away from collecting. Like I said I've had bad and good experiences here but I wish people would just rethink how they approach things like this because it only reflects badly on yourself as a person and a collector. To be honest it's not my cap it doesn't hurt my feelings either way. I collect certain items and try to help my friends when they need something authenticated but there are certain items I am clueless about like cloth items for instance. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Comment

Hallo links234

I'm sorry you had interpreted as arrogance just a way of expressing (slang type, only in the sense of words and phrases very informal, typically restricted to a particular context or group of people and not as an abusive language) that was not going to laugh at this visor

We start over: member Kurt said it all, but I want to add you this link that will help.

In fact, the cap seems to belong to the category of that fakes, so that you'll see it for yourself:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...+pekuro&page=7

Best regards

Marcello

Comment

No reply. Amen.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X