Officer's Visor Hat - is it real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer's Visor Hat - is it real?

I would sincerely appreciate any opinions as to the authenticity of this visor hat. What branch does the piping indicate? The buttons are non-magnetic and the sweat diamond is celluloid. Nothing glows under the blacklight. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Additional photos
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like an original Admin or Jäger officer's visor in my opinion.

Kurt

Comment

The leather visor is a very nice bonus. J

Comment

A rather frugal cap...I wonder if maybe an upgrade by way of chinstrap swap...? I like the "crusher" style visor too. The matt grey insignia looks NCO.

Robt.

Comment

piping

The dark green piping would be for administration. Too dark for Jaeger.

Comment

I'm going to defer to Chris ("Stonemint"), but based upon my review of the pictures (considering my piss-poor eyesight, &, utilizing an outdated cellphone with a cracked screen), I believe the hat is a postwar "Alteste" because:
              1) The twill wool is almost universally found on Alteste reproductions; but MORE IMPORTANTLY, if you look at the front crown's center seam, its alignment is slightly off-center. The eagle's swastika is aligned with the 'bullseye' of the cockade, yet the center seam is definitely off-center when viewed against the eagle/ swastika. IMO, this characteristic of "Alteste" reproduction visors is one of the most reliable traits to watch out for, as the earlier "Alteste" visors had satin linings, celluloid sweat shields, AND even real leather visors.
              2) CONSIDERING THOSE RARELY ENCOUNTERED, BUT KNOWN, TRAITS OF EARLIER "ALTESTE" REPRODUCTION VISORS MENTIONED IN THE LAST SENTENCE OF PARAGRAPH #1 ABOVE, the other characteristic seen on the present visor that is also almost always found on these reproductions is the 'brushed-cotton' lining. UNLESS my eyes are deceiving me, then that blue/ gray cotton lining makes an even stronger case that this particular hat is an "Alteste" reproduction. Such, along with the off-center seam, and the possibility of a celluloid sweat shield coupled with real leather visors being found on 'early' "Alteste" fakes prompts me to urge caution, and most definitely, await review/ comment by "Stonemint."

Having suggested such, IF this hat is in your possession AND you'd consider selling it (as an "Alteste" reproduction, if it is indeed one), then PLEASE contact me! I actually collect "Alteste" reproduction visors, and therefore, I might be willing to pay more for a 'fake' hat than most!

Good luck, and FWIW, I DO hope that my assessment is incorrect for your sake!

Comment

I would add that the sweatband is a type universally encountered on "Alteste" visors; but then again, since these hats were constructed with almost all original fabric and component parts, the sweatband in particular isn't conclusive towards determining whether the hat is an "Alteste" or not. However, the particular style of sweatband and method of attachment is certainly probative towards any assessment.

Lastly, to clarify why the center seam's off-center alignment is "key" IMO is because I've seen/ own/ once possessed "Alteste" visors with replaced sweatbands, and in extreme cases, with original wartime satin linings featuring wartime 'maker marked' celluloid sweat shields; typically, an "Alteste" reproduction being sold as an 'original' features the blue/ gray brushed cotton lining but the sweat shield has been removed (because the MAJORITY of "Alteste" reproduction visors feature the blue/ gray cotton lining AND a plastic sweat shield when they were originally constructed).

Hope this helps!

Comment

The inner lining is not cotton. It appears to be a translucent "mesh" cloth material. You can actually see through the mesh. Apparently this mesh material would keep the wearer's head cooler.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hallo John

In my opinion, the matt gray insignias don't militate in favor of the visor, as it seems to me a little extravagant to think of an up-grading for an Admin. In this case, I thought rather a down-grading.

But passing on more important things:

- From a close examination of shot n. 2, I see that the sweatshield has large tracts of unwrapping. Maybe a replacement of the original "speaking" one?

- It would be very interesting to see some very detailed images of the lining seams with the raised sweatband and, therefore, also of the stitching of the leather's peak.

At present, Paris Gun's considerations appear to me very shareable.

Comment

Thank you for all the comments and opinions. Here are more photos as requested. How much is it worth if it is an "Alteste" hat?
                      Attached Files

Comment

More photos
                        Attached Files

Comment

My Initial reaction peering into the inside was also Altesste Berlin...never have I encountered a leather visor on one though....Billbert

Comment

Originally posted by billbert View Post
                            My Initial reaction peering into the inside was also Altesste Berlin...never have I encountered a leather visor on one though....Billbert
                            I agree--I am on the fence with this one--it has the gray cotton muslin lining; the short sweatband; and the heavy tricot body typical of Altestes.
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Went back to this thread to check if the usual Admin vs Jäger discussion had started only to see that it has taken a different route. My initial reaction was "late-war" original cap with unusual lining and it didn't even cross my mind that it could be an Admin Alteste - but of course they even made Infantry visors.

Seeing the close-ups now I must agree that unfortunately is a possibility so I suppose your best bet is to send it to Paris Gun for hands-on inspection. He can then share his observations with us.

Kurt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X