X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mountain troops generals cap

Some questions about this mountains troops generals cap on the guild
    http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H039175.html

Cap and all components certainly look original but isnt the cap an enlisted cap that has been upgraded to general officer?

It certainly started life as an enlisted cap...which doesn't mean it was or was not period altered..would be GREAT to find a foto of him wearing it....Billbert

Comment

Here's an excellent thread about Bergmuetzen:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=674747

I would expect a General to wear a high quality private purchase cap and not an enlisted cap but stranger things have happened.

Comment

Apparently, this is Ernst Schlemmer.
        Attached Files

Comment

And certainly not such a worn out EM Bergmütze for a general !

Comment

To me it makes perfect sense to keep your high quality private purchase cap for dress/walking out occasions and use an upgrade EM's version for field use. One cheap sturdy cap that can get wet and dirty and you can drop, tuck away or even lose without much problems (yes, you need some new generals insignia). The heavy use on this cap to me proves this point.

Erik

Comment

I spent an hour today looking at photos of Gebirgstruppe General's.

It's quite amazing how many of them owned very similar caps to one and other with T form eagles, some obviously flatwire.
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

All the pictures are with nice quality caps ? Which sounds logical ...
                    I don't see a general having such a worn out cap ?
                    Or the insignia are post war replaced and the general wore it during 10 years long in Russia as a POW ?
                    Nick

Comment

One also has to remember it was Oct 42 I believe when piping was approved for Bergmutze...and by and large they seem to not be made to a
                      My degree after the 43s arrived and the war situation worsened...
                      Billbert

Comment

To me the eagle looks toned silver rather than gold, it's the yellow thread that makes it look gold from a distance IMO.

Jos.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X