General Staff/Veterinary Officer's visor cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Staff/Veterinary Officer's visor cap

This one just arrived from a German auction house. There were two karmesinrot piped caps but I only managed to get this one.

I had no idea what the interior would look like, the auction only provided one photo so it was a gamble. I'm pleasantly surprised though because overall it's in good shape apart from those pesky moth holes.

It must have been a bit too big for the original owner because there is an interesting strip of padding sewn in plus he added a newspaper and a curious sheet of tin foil!?

It has a nice jaunty shape with the crown folded over and to the side.
    The chords are huge!!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

The seam of the centreband is at the front of this cap rather than the back.
      Made this way with an embroidered wreath in mind? more than likely.
      Attached Files

Comment

The padding strip is unusual, I've not seen another like it before.

It wasn't enough though!
        Attached Files

Comment

1943 seems to be the date of the publication.
          Attached Files

Comment

I love those fat cords. I wonder if it might have been used in theater or cinema after the war, hence the size modification. I've seen newspapers used before, but not fabric padding (or tin foil).

Don

Comment

Hallo Ben

A very nice (and not so often seen) waffenfarbe piping

The late war washed wool doesn't deny the bullion cockade (quite the contrary) and the minimal and very usual restoration to the front area of the sweatband doesn't affect its beauty.

Congratulations

Marcello

Comment

Thanks my friend.

It's the original stitching to the sweatband, it's just a bit loose at the front.

Comment

Ben, nice score. Is it possible for you, with your skills, to close the moth holes.J

Comment

Ben, another great score--ya gotta love the little details added by these "mom 'n pop" makers....
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Very nice - the "jauntiness" does deliver a stunning effect!

Comment

nice score Ben... GS visors are becoming more difficult to find.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X