Early 1937 "Pressstoff" pith helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early 1937 "Pressstoff" pith helmet

Here is a helmet that really is a very rare bird. Have this one in my possesion for years now. Came from another collector who bought it a German guy. For the rest there is not any information about the history of this particular pith.

I present to you an early 1937 "Preßstof" pith helmet. It was used by U-Boat personel before and during the war. Mostly only seen on pictures.

The only thing missing on the helmet is the eagle insigna. But given the rarity of this helmet, it is not a big problem imo.

I will also share some additional information and pictures here in this thread.

I hope you all like it.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

And here are some pictures of U-Boat personel wearing the helmet.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Den

Thats a very rare helmet indeed. Really nice condition too, interior looks real good. Interesting constuction when compared to the later models.
                    I see it has the original owner's name, any makers mark or an idea who the maker is ? Great photos too, seldom seen the U-boat crewman wearing the early pre-war pattern sunhelmet. The missing insignia is the standard one-piece found on the "Matrosenmutze" sailors cap so you may be able to find one.

Thanks for showing Den, and feel free to show more of your outstanding (one of the best in the world) collection of sunhelmets

with very kind regards
                    Tim

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Strangely similar to a U.S. Hawley sun helmet with its compressed molded fabric.

Robt.

Comment

@ Robt: indeed the construction seems simular to the US Hawley helmets.

@ Tim: Yes, the nice thing about this one is that it is named with "Kuch". Too bad there is not more information in this pith. There is also no makermark and I have no clue about the company/companies producing this particular type in the early days. I never came across a maker. The others that I know of also don't have any makermark, so I guess it will be a mistery that will never be uncovered.

I am glad you like this one guys!

And yes, I should post some of the others again too. The weather is getting better so it is time for some new outside pictures again!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X