Emedals - Medalbook

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luftwaffe m43 field made officers hat cool !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe m43 field made officers hat cool !

Dear Members,

I picked this M43 hat up many years ago.

I was recently told that it was a field made officers cap upgrade.

It looks like it was made from a pair of pants !

It is very cool looking with the big eagle, any comments are welcome.

Regards Steven.
    Attached Files

More

More
    Attached Files

Comment

Dear Members,

Here are two more photos.

Anyone have any comments about his cap ?

Was this a common thing to do when promoted in the field or towards the end
      of the war ?

Thanks again !

Cheers Steven.
      Attached Files

Comment

Interesting cap.

It appears that especially within the LW these field caps are more commonly encountered; both in Europe as Afrika.

IMO this cap resembles more the LW Bergmütze than the M43 cap and is therefore not necessarily late war.

Comment

The officer's piping is very crudely sewn, and the eagle and cockade have obviously been replaced. This is not a cap I would want to own.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Dear Zauberflöte,

Thanks for your comment and insight it is appreciated.

Dear Bob Shoaf,

Thanks for your comment.

The good news is that no one is asking you to own it !

Everyone has the right to there opinion including you.

What is interesting is I have had one offer of purchase for the hat and one offer
            of a trade for the hat, so you do not have to worry about owning it as I am not selling the hat.

Have a great weekend !

Regards Steven.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
              The officer's piping is very crudely sewn, and the eagle and cockade have obviously been replaced.
              Allthough uncommon for a officer cap and yes possibly the eagle could be replaced; this would not be something for me to necessarily dismiss the cap. Actually because it is all sewn in the same crudely manor I think it stands a fair chance. Of course this cap was not tailor made. I have seen all original caps and uniforms with similar crudely sewn insignia, you would not believe the indifference by the former owner.

Comment

I am with Bob on this one. It could have been made at any time during or after the war. Without solid provenance, well it is op to believe. J

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                  I am with Bob on this one. It could have been made at any time during or after the war. Without solid provenance, well it is op to believe. J
                  I have little doubt to none the base cap is period field made. The wear, different threads used; machine stitched overall but the button hole crudely by hand...all things I would like to see in a original. No faker would create such a cap with all the anomolies included; IMO certain items do not need provenance Jacques.

Herewith another example of a untouched field made Bergmütze style cap (eagle attached with wide stitches and positioned irregular) and a Fliegermütze merely as example how crudely even on issued items insignia were sometimes sewn.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Zauberflöte; 03-20-2016, 06:41 AM.

Comment

double post

Comment

What's on the ink stamp? I think the cap is feasible but, as pointed out, without provenance it's a leap of faith. If it floats your boat, great!

Robt.

Comment

Originally posted by RGD51 View Post
                        What's on the ink stamp?
                        Good point, I totally missed that stamp!!

That could place the cap - and therefore my observation of the cap in general - in a totally different light. Obviously, a field made garment would not have a maker marking.

Comment

Originally posted by RGD51 View Post
                          What's on the ink stamp? I think the cap is feasible but, as pointed out, without provenance it's a leap of faith. If it floats your boat, great!

Robt.
                          It says "fieldmade"

Comment

If the cap lining was made from another garments lining it might shed some light but really wouldn't mean anything. If it reads: Levi's Dockers your in trouble.

Robt.

Comment

Also, a pointless post war upgrade with a imaginary stamp would not be a first...

Anyhow, a close up could help the hypothesis.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X