Late War SS M43 Field Cap in Italian Wool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late War SS M43 Field Cap in Italian Wool

Purchased this cap out of New Zealand. Apparently was Vet acquired. I believe this was discussed in the forum before to mixed reviews. Hopefully I can get a unanimous decision on this with these pictures. Let me know thoughts.
    Attached Files

flaps down

flaps down
    Attached Files

Comment

SIde and Iso

Side and Iso
      Attached Files

Comment

Overview

Again... SS M43 field cap in late war Italian wool. Came out of New Zealand, an apparent Vet pick up. Let me know thoughts.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm not happy with this cap i do not like the way it is made and one big give away is the 57 size stamp - identical to the many 57 stamps found in the fake caps flooded into the collecting community by Kai Winkler.
          Attached Files

Comment

I don't like it either. I don't like the # stamp, and the sewing of the trap for starters.

Comment

An item at the level of his seller.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. My area of knowledge lies with helmets, this is my first M43 cap. One thing to note, I do have an known original M43 SS-BW kit (tunic and trousers) in very similar wool. The construction and stampings on this cap appear wartime, when comparing with that tunic. Based off of what I'm hearing, its not enough to write this one off.

Comment

Originally posted by tylermclaren View Post
                  Thanks for the input guys. My area of knowledge lies with helmets, this is my first M43 cap. One thing to note, I do have an known original M43 SS-BW kit (tunic and trousers) in very similar wool. The construction and stampings on this cap appear wartime, when comparing with that tunic. Based off of what I'm hearing, its not enough to write this one off.
                  Keep in mind that a lot of unissued "italian wool" was found in Cloth recycling Depots and the fakers have Access to this material (same with italian Gabardine).

I have handled a lot of SS M-43 and do own several nice examples and i do have a database with Pictures of more then 100 original SS M43 hats and the hat in question is not one of them - however it is your decision if you want to Keep it......

Comment

Originally posted by MM1985 View Post
                    Keep in mind that a lot of unissued "italian wool" was found in Cloth recycling Depots and the fakers have Access to this material (same with italian Gabardine).

I have handled a lot of SS M-43 and do own several nice examples and i do have a database with Pictures of more then 100 original SS M43 hats and the hat in question is not one of them - however it is your decision if you want to Keep it......
                    I'm going to send this out to a few that I trust with expertise with these. I think that's the best right now rather than write it off.

If indeed these are being made out original wartime wool and insignia and being stamped like this, more identical examples would have surfaced by now. The quality of wool and construction along with the original trapezoid is having me learn towards this being original.

But like I said, I'm no expert on these, I'm just comparing to a known original SS-BW tunic.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X