SS-Visor for review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS-Visor for review...

I am not a expert about SS cap and I need your opinions is it real or a fake.
    For information the skull is ok but the eagle is a copy and the pipping is brown from the oxidation. You can see the mistake on the picture 4 (steel ring!)

comments and opinions welcomed, thanks in advance, wobe
    Attached Files

picture 3
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hallo wobe

From the outside, I lay me some questions:

- Why the oxidation hit only the top piping? It seems rather an unsuccessful attempt to color it with a very attractive waffenfarbe.
          - Is this is a velvet band on a trooper's visor? From the photographs it is not clear at least to me.
          - The sweatshield seems made of plastic, or maybe I'm wrong?
          - The interior is anonymous and it seems never worn. So, as usual, any investigation on the manufacturer is impossible.

I hope to start a fruitful discussion with my own doubts.

Comment

Center-seam joinder of front panels seems to be off-center; that, & a plastic sweatshield are characteristics of "Alteste" reproductions.

A review & commentary by the "SS-Headgear Gurus" is definitely needed for this hat to fully explain its bad &/or good points.

Still, based upon my limited knowledge of W/SS headgear, I wouldn't buy this hat as an "original" without an ironclad return/ money-back guarantee!

Comment

I absolutely refuse to crane my neck any more to look at insignia ... is this another iPhone fail ?

Ian.

Comment

further pictures for review and the discusion.....
                (sorry for the neck)
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

RZ stamp
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Wobe View Post
                      further pictures for review and the discusion.....
                      (sorry for the neck)

The skull is a zinc Overhoff the eagle a Wagner. The skull is good, not sure on the eagle though.

Ian

Comment

what's the matter is this SS visor a very hard nut and where are the "SS-Headgear Gurus" with her knowledge?
                        I need your opinions "real or a copy"please.....

Comment

Maybe they are sick of bad photos and bad manners ? Maybe they are all on holiday ... maybe your cap doesn't invoke any interest ?

I can't say anything more than I already did.

Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Ian, you have done your best and thank you but over 500 viewer, little bit strange!!!

Regards wobe

Comment

Well Wobe, Let's restart:
                              1. the eagle is false or at least doubtful.
                              2. The skull is true.
                              This means that the insignias have been manipulated, although this may not be an issue in the case, for example, the original eagle was lost and it was necessary however a replacement.
                              3. The oxidation of the top piping is credible, as it could have been caused by the crown support iron. But in this case the iron itself should be almost completely rusty as the oxidation seems to affect the entire top piping.
                              4. the body twill fabric is credible, although it is also used extensively in the post-war and fake caps.
                              You still have not answered my questions about the band, the lining and the sweatshield. I add that it seems to me that the silk lining is sewn with individual points, and this is not common with the period visors that often, although not always of course, have V-shaped seams. You should also check if the pasteboard is treated and if there is a central metal stiffener or any other type of inside front support. The inside of the visor bears signs of use while the sweatband and lining, with some signs of dirt, are almost untouched. Any cork and gauze under the sweatband?
                              This is the point of the situation in my opinion: it is a visor which some components are often used to make fake visors and at the same time it never seems to come out of its home. (it continues)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X