SS Officers "Alter Art" Style Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Officers "Alter Art" Style Cap

I've been spending quite a lot of time recently searching for interesting items online and found this cap on a German website. I didn't know what to make of it at first, the insignia was a weird combination of Italian eagle and a fake skull. The cap itself looked ok but the shape was weird, like it had been squashed or had a broken pasteboard but I decided to take a chance on it anyway.

Here are the sellers photos first.
    Attached Files

First thing I noticed when it arrived was a ghost of a regular German made SS eagle on the wool behind the Italian one so I removed it as well as the skull which was definitely fake.

I then sat down and studied the cap very very closely.

What I found was that the pasteboard is the correct flexible type used during the period and was completely intact but squashed and creased. The rayon lining and sweatband is all sewn correctly with no evidence of tampering at all. Everything looked fine in fact.

So I decided to steam the cap to try and get the pasteboard creases out which worked quite well. There is still a bit of a dent right in the front behind the skull but overall, it looks so much better now.

Lastly, I applied a set of matching original insignia.

I know only too well how rare these caps are but everything checks out with this one and I'm very pleased with it. It's not a Feldmuetze Alter Art in the true sense of the word, it's a more of Schirmmuetze with a leather peak no doubt used for walking out rather than use in the field. Notice the peak only has a thin layer or lacquer rather than coated in bitumen. You see quite a few of these style caps being worn in period photos.

Anyway, enjoy!
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I'm assuming it's a Kleiderkasse cap as it only has a size stamp and never had a sweat shield.
        Attached Files

Comment

The money shots!

You can clearly see the flexible pasteboard here I hope.
          Attached Files

Comment

Everything is correct in here and as it should be, neat and tidy pleats and no empty sewing holes etc.
            Attached Files

Comment

Stamp
              Attached Files

Comment

Fritz Blothe of 8.SS-Kavallerie-Division "Florian Geyer" wearing a very similar cap.
                Attached Files

Comment

Ben, well done!

Comment

Congrats Ben, and complements on your photographs. I really like what I see!

Comment

Ben, looks like you found the proverbial diamond in the billy goat's butt. J

Comment

Hi Ben,
                        Wow! Simply terrific!
                        Congratulations and thank you for sharing,
                        Curtiss

Comment

STELLAR..
                          You Da Man !! Billbert

Comment

Very nice find Ben

Andy

Comment

Great find, and fantastic save

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X