No announcement yet.

Crusher Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those interested, the cap that started this thread is the one from Ratisbon's latest auction. It was not sold there.

I am no expert but I like this cap. It has character and the 'been there' look and in general looks ok to me. But again, as said I am no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by KC1 View Post
      Chris - I took further photos of the piping on my TSD, please take a look and let me know your thoughts.
      Originally posted by phild View Post
      Chris,

I have a C&W made (but not marked) W-SS officers peak cap with this type of piping in white......I like the looks of it (the cap and the piping) better than most any other that I have seen.

I have seen about 2-3 other of that same type of C&W W-SS officer with that type and all had the same type lining and made from a very high grade of tricot wool. I don't recall seeing it on other makes of W-SS peak caps...so sort of unique IMO
      Originally posted by BenVK View Post
      Hi Chris, rayon is artificial silk is it not?

I know where you're coming from though because there's rayon basket weave piping as shown on the shoulder board below and there's spun rayon thread piping which you're referring to. It's most often seen in a spiral twist rather than cylindrical as on the cap above. In any case, it would make sense to overlap the ends to stop the thread from unravelling.

Interesting that those other TSD visors have the exact same piping. I'm not sure whether it's a late war thing though, more likely there was a directive in the UM or similar period trade publication that states that this style piping should be used.

Hello Dan, Phil and Ben,

I am told by another collector who has tested a shoulder board with this type of piping that it is made from a silk spun round an inner non-silk cord. The silk might be artificial or it could be a recycled blend of real silk and cotton. As far as I know, no one has worked out exactly if the components of the thread is natural or artificial.

My understanding is that rayon is made from cellulose, primarily from wood pulp. When Artificial Silk is also made from wood it basically almost the same as rayon. However, artificial silk can be made from a wider range of substances than just wood. When artificial silk is made from something else like chemicals then it is basically a nylon rather than rayon.

This type of piping is definitely pre-May 1945. It is an ersatz pressed into production during the war probably because of shortages. The question for me is what year did it first appear ? Yesterday, I noticed that one of the tropical boards on page 314 of the book "Afrikakorps" by Robert Kurtz, Schiffer 2004 has piping made of this silk spun-cord. It is the shoulder board in the bottom left corner on page 314 described as having with white piping for "anti-aircraft or infantry troops",

Chris
      Last edited by 90th Light; 02-27-2016, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Rayon is most often seen in hats from '43-'45, and most often overlapping piping is used in lieu of being abutted. Hat is fine, and so is the piping.
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

What's the branche?
          Is it Nachschub or TSD?
          It was listed as a original chrusher, but overall opinion is it's a normal schirmmütze converted to one with a chrusher look?
          Eagle seems to be handsewn and the cockade machine sewn, if i am correct?
          I'm looking for a Nachschub visor, but i love the looks of this one

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X