Finnish SS Officers Peak Cap for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Stonemint

Thanks for the input but why? This site is full of people who instantly say fake when they dont always know and then when somebody who does know comes along they go hide in a corner and pretend like they never said anything. If its not right then no problems but I would love to hear why. The silence from the people who scream fake is deafening on this one.
    Dave
    http://www.militaryantiquestoronto.com

Comment

Dave, there are a number of factors, but I do not want to educate the fakers anymore than we already have--they read these forums, and have reverse-engineered their wares in a constant attempt to stay ahead of us.

My opinion is just mine--maybe others have opinions to the contrary.
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by Military Antiques Toronto View Post
        Hi Stonemint

Thanks for the input but why? This site is full of people who instantly say fake when they dont always know and then when somebody who does know comes along they go hide in a corner and pretend like they never said anything. If its not right then no problems but I would love to hear why. The silence from the people who scream fake is deafening on this one.

Dave

I understand the frustration, but agree with stonemint. Generally speaking, I believe there was some work done to this cap.

Others may feel differently, of course, but this is certainly not one I'd be comfortable owning.

Comment

While we're there, accepting the invitation of BaselA on another thread, a first question to him: Why do you think that the band may have been replaced?

Even here, we start from the outside: Ian rightly says that eagle & skull are original and I do not see any evidence for doubting that the fabric, velvet, buttons, chincords, pipings, etc. are original, except for the fact that the cardboard must be damaged in some point as seen from the images n. 13 and 14. Now, let's examine the inside: the lining is quite poor even though the manufacturer's logo is confirmed. On the lining there are traces of moisture that are not noticed on the upper dome of the cap. On the lining, which is very moved backward, there are various written to me illegible as seen from the images n. 5, 12 and 13, which the latter shows a kind of stamp on the upper right side of the sweatshield. May I know by the owner as he translates these written, before asking others? Finally the biggest problem, in my opinion: the lining has very disorderly folds, as seen from the images n. 11 and 12, sewn unevenly on a base of light blue fabric (perhaps because it was too short? ).

I hope to get some answers to these questions, otherwise I will survive (Gloria Gaynor, 1978)

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by enorepap View Post
            While we're there, accepting the invitation of BaselA on another thread, a first question to him: Why do you think that the band may have been replaced?

Even here, we start from the outside: Ian rightly says that eagle & skull are original and I do not see any evidence for doubting that the fabric, velvet, buttons, chincords, pipings, etc. are original, except for the fact that the cardboard must be damaged in some point as seen from the images n. 13 and 14. Now, let's examine the inside: the lining is quite poor even though the manufacturer's logo is confirmed. On the lining there are traces of moisture that are not noticed on the upper dome of the cap. On the lining, which is very moved backward, there are various written to me illegible as seen from the images n. 5, 12 and 13, which the latter shows a kind of stamp on the upper right side of the sweatshield. May I know by the owner as he translates these written, before asking others? Finally the biggest problem, in my opinion: the lining has very disorderly folds, as seen from the images n. 11 and 12, sewn unevenly on a base of light blue fabric (perhaps because it was too short? ).

I hope to get some answers to these questions, otherwise I will survive (Gloria Gaynor, 1978)

Best regards

Based on the new photos, I don't see any evidence of the cap being rebanded with velvet. It was an initial concern because I constantly see this generic maker mark in common WH visors.

As you have pointed out, my issue is also with the lining - the stitching and pleats.

I can't make out the stamp either. It seems appear in two places, with one clearer than the other.

Comment

I agree with you and only Dave can help us at this point at least with regards to the writings, because in my opinion the folds of the lining are (and they will probably remain) the real big problem.

Dave, please, take a magnifying glass (I hope you have good eyes), arm you with a lot of good patience and tell us what it says on the lining.

Comment

The stamp is unfortunatly illegible. Supposedly it belonged to a Finnish officer name Ingero who was KIA on 23 06 1944
                Dave
                http://www.militaryantiquestoronto.com

Comment

looks like a Midwest creation (imho)
                  Cheers Steve

Comment

Originally posted by enorepap View Post
                    the fact that the cardboard must be damaged in some point
                    That's the first thing I noticed. The pasteboard must be damaged and or missing in places. The side lining pleats are a mess and the horizontal stitches to hold it in place are not typical and do not look period applied to me either. Also, see the orange sponge under the front of the sweatband and how it's melted and disintegrated? Usually when this happens, the sponge leaves traces of itself on the interior of the cap itself. There are none here though that I can see.

Comment

The soft and wrinkly velvet band is also a problem. Links directly to the paste board issue as raised. J

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X