Heer Forestry Visor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heer Forestry Visor?

Just acquired this visor and have been researching to determine the affiliation...and am now confused.

This high-peaked, saddle-form hat came to me with the wreath in two pieces which someone had unsuccessfully tried to glue back-together. With the all metal insignia - eagle, wreath and cockade - appearing to be of the Heer variety, I figured it to be for an intermediate officer in the "Heeresforstdienst".

However, the chin cord - being banded (versus "flecked") in alternating silver and green, I suspected that it could be for a Customs officer.

There are three rows of green piping which appear to be of the same colour as the green "banding" in the chin cord, while the cap band is a darker green.

The interior bears a plastic sweat shield marked with the maker's logo, being "LLD" and there is an ink stamp of the size, being "54". The brown leather sweatband has a black cloth rim which is sewn to the body of the cap.

I would greatly appreciate opinions and a determination as to the period originality of this visor and the service affiliation.

Thanks in advance, and regards,

John
    Attached Files

More views:
    Attached Files

Comment

...and more:
      Attached Files

Comment

The wreath:
        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news--the hat is a BRD Police visor from the 1950s.
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

The starbursts varied by state/city, but this gives an idea of what they look like prior to becoming "nazified":
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Thanks, "stonemint", for your feedback. I had just found and read the thread with your postings regarding the maker "LLD".

I was about to edit my description above to note that the sweat shield is celluloid, not plastic...but I guess this does not make a difference?

John

Comment

Originally posted by jwburchell View Post
                Thanks, "stonemint", for your feedback. I had just found and read the thread with your postings regarding the maker "LLD".

I was about to edit my description above to note that the sweat shield is celluloid, not plastic...but I guess this does not make a difference?

John

John, celluloid was used in the BRD until the early 60s, and the DDR into the 70s.

One of the main "tells" on these BRD Police visors is the use of small air vent grommets.
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Thanks again for the additional clarification.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X