Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Officers Visor Cap on Estand

Hi all,
    I would like to put up for discussion my Clement & Wagner SS officer visor cap.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=810933

In my opinion this is one of the best conditioned SS visors available.
    Insignia is wonderfull, but the rest of the cap is superb.
    Can I get some feedback and opinions and is it in the right ball park value wise.
    All opinions are welcome.
    Regards, Steve

Beautiful cap. IMO the market is a bit soft. Hang in there

Comment

Steve, agree nice cap, but having owned and wached these, imo, your price is too high. J

Comment

Hi Steve, it's not the best of times to sell but having said that, these two SS caps reached a price that really surprised me. Maybe there was a lot of auction fever that day! http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=802186

The last SS visor I sold went for about £4400. I was expecting a quick sale at closer to £5000 but it didn't work out that way and it took a while and a price drop. I think it was Jacques who said that it's all about timing and he's spot on. Sometimes they fly out the door, sometimes not. You never can tell..

Your cap is one of the nicest examples I've handled.
        The fabric and workmanship are superior to most and the condition is excellent. It's a quality cap with a beautiful saddle shape. How the restored sweatband will effect views on value though, I have no idea. I'd like to hear some opinions on that myself...

Personally, I'd much prefer your cap to an average or poor condition example that still has it's original sweatband.

It's all horses for courses though and what one person likes, another will not.

Comment

Why was the original SB replaced? Lovely hat let's see some pictures of the restoration.

Comment

Hi all,
            Firstly, thanks you all very much for your input.
            Second and more importantly, thanks to the very unique talents of BenVK who made this restoration perfect. Originally, the cap came into my possession thru the generosity of Gary Rhule - minus the completely missing sweatband.
            I'd say the original owners name may have been on it and was torn out..
            The cap being in such wonderful condition (including the awsome patina on the insignia) it was begging to be restored. I contacted BenVK, who in tern searched high and low to find an original TR donor visor sweatband and found a perfect match to suit my SS visor. The rest is as they say, is history.
            Thanks again for your thoughts and opinions guys.
            Regards, Steve
            Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful cap and restoration job by BenVK

Comment

It is certainly a beautiful cap, and Ben's restoration job is flawless. However, the price is not realistic in today's market - I don't think anyone can refute that.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this cap, as it has a very pleasing shape and finer grade wool than often seen on later SS kleiderkasse pieces.

The fact that the sweatband has been replaced, however, has a significant affect on the value IMO. Price is a topic I like to avoid in open discussion, but If you need to move this thing sooner rather than later, I predict your "sweet spot" will be very well under $10k USD.

Comment

Originally posted by BaselA View Post
                  It is certainly a beautiful cap, and Ben's restoration job is flawless.
                  The fact that the sweatband has been replaced, however, has a significant affect on the value IMO. .
                  I agree.

Comment

The hat has a killer shape, and Ben's resto work is flawless. Remember the SS white-top with the detached visor that Ben restored? It still went on to sell for big bucks 2 years ago.

Prices are so all over the place of late I gave up trying to track them (especially when the LW Doorman visor went for 3000EU)--it really comes down to what someone wants to pay at a given time.
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Great looking visor Steven.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                        Prices are so all over the place of late I gave up trying to track them (especially when the LW Doorman visor went for 3000EU).

Comment

Originally posted by BaselA View Post
                          The fact that the sweatband has been replaced, however, has a significant affect on the value IMO.
                          Yes, I agree as well.....
                          It's a beautiful "restored" cap ....
                          All my best
                          Giorgio

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                            The hat has a killer shape, and Ben's resto work is flawless. Remember the SS white-top with the detached visor that Ben restored? It still went on to sell for big bucks 2 years ago.

Prices are so all over the place of late I gave up trying to track them (especially when the LW Doorman visor went for 3000EU)--it really comes down to what someone wants to pay at a given time.

I think there is a stark contrast between the SS white top stonemint is referring to and the cap that started this thread. The white top, although restored, is hyper rare and attributed. If I remember correctly, Ben's restoration job only involved restitching the sweatband and visor. In other words, there were no "donor" parts added - the "discerning" collectors among us will understand why this is important. On the flipside, feldgrau kleiderkasse SS officer visors are not rare and can be found regularly for much less than $12k in good condition.

The doorman visor

Comment

Thank you all for your input on this thread.
                              One thing that is curious to me - If this visor belonged to any of you, would you have had the sweatband replaced or just have left the interior bare?
                              For me, it was begging for a replacement sweatband, others of you may disagree.
                              But I believe the value of the visor would be worth far less unrestored.
                              Regards,
                              Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X