Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heer Afrika Korps enlisted visor cap.

Hey guys,
    What do you think? The hat has no story but came out of an estate and everything else was real. What do you think? Everything looks to me but I have not seen many of these. There are large pencil initials under the bill as well.
    Respectfully,
    Kevin
    Attached Files

More
    Attached Files

Comment

Tha cap appears to be A Waffen SS cut tropical cap (restored with moth eaten Heer insignia???)
      Actually I would repost the whole thing in the head gear section (this is the uniform section). To me it looks promising and even has a faint size stamp.
      Grommets look different though...

Comment

Thank you I forgot there was a headgear section. Will repost.

Comment

More
          Attached Files

Comment

Bad one....has nothing affirmative or of the period going for it. Sorry.

Robt.

Comment

Originally posted by RGD51 View Post
              Bad one....has nothing affirmative or of the period going for it. Sorry.

Robt.
              I could agree with that.

-Ray-

Comment

Yep, nothing authentic about this cap.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

My first reaction is of course "Crapola"

but I have learnt over the years to always check the possibility of this type of cap being Italian made before May 1945.

The eagle and cockade are certainly up to Italian embroidered standards or the lack of them.

The grommets look to be a type used on some WW2 Italian made caps

The reinforcement seam around the outer edge of the bill is typically very Italian

In rare cases some Italian made tropical caps did not have lining material. I suppose, why bother for a hot/ summer climate cap

I am not saying it is original but if mine, I would put it to one side and double check these points. You will need to study pictures, read old threads here or on other forums or let other collectors hold it in hand.

However, do not throw it in the rubbish bin yet. This one has the potential to be Italian made from the time,

Chris

Comment

Agree with everyone, would pass on this one....

Comment

Italian made or not ?

In the thread below (click on link), John Hodgin makes the comment in post number 25 that the twill looks to be a USA type. This is an interesting point because is the twill on the cap which started this thread (Kevin's cap) the same type of twill or a legitimate type (Italian ?) used by the Germans for example on their trop LW uniforms.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...n+tropical+cap

Chris
                      Last edited by 90th Light; 07-06-2015, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I'm with 90th Light (Chris) on this one. The tropical caps w/o side panels were thought to be restricted to Waffen SS &/or Luftwaffe only, that is until Army versions surfaced. Further, I too agree it has 'Italian-made' characteristics, or it could be a field-made example (or even, dare I say, a POW-made piece, but if so then why a size stamp?).

The fact that it is definitely "non-standard" would warrant a hard look in hand by the noted 'gurus' before it should be so casually dismissed as slop- IMO.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X