Mutzenfabrik, Inc: Visor Restoration Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mutzenfabrik, Inc: Visor Restoration Progress

Some of you may remember this visor that came up for discusssion a few weeks back: http://wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/s...ht=Erel+tossup

I purchased it from Ron as a reclamation project. When I examined the cap in hand, I found that it was originally an Infantry visor that had suffered a ham-fisted attempt to change the piping color at some point. My first attempt to return the piping to it's original color using a diluted bleach solution was an abject failure as it made my test section look lime green.

So, take two: I decided to see if I would be able to replicate the cornflower blue piping of a medical officer's cap. The results are below.

I must say after having done this (I estimate about four hours put in plus another one or two experimenting to find the right shade of blue for the Waffenfarbe) I have a new-found respect for those charlatans who do this for a living. I used a magnifying glass and reading glasses to make sure I did not "bleed" the blue over on to the cap's fabric, and found a water-soluble "dye" that I could remove relatively easily when I did slip. Keeping the fabric spread out so I could jwork on the sides of the piping was done using trial and error - mainly, my fingers...

Here are some pics of an untreated section and then a shot of the first layer. I eventually went over the entire caap three times:
    Attached Files

The finished product.
    Attached Files

Comment

I also found that the previous dye job didn't bother to color the piping hidden under the wreath, so I removed it and finished it right. I also discovered the cap had originally had a bullion wreath as there was still stitching under the metal wreath. FInally, the cap was a bit out of round and had a crease in the visor, so I put a cap stretcher in to bring it back into round and straighten out the crease a bit.
      Attached Files

Comment

There were also two small stains on the top of the cap. One I was able to get out compoletely, the other one is much less noticeable now.

I noticed from the close-up pics there's a few small areas of bleeding that I am going to remedy, but I have to say that I was really happy that the fabric took the dye so well and it did end up like the mottled POS original dye job.

It'll never be what it once was, but I have to say I was very happy with the result and it is at least displayable now. In all honesty, if it wasn't an Erel, I probably wouldn't have bothered, but I love those caps.

Don
        Attached Files

Comment

hat

Nicely done and do the collecting world a favor before you pass it on and stamp "Mittel-Tejas" inside so no one will mistake the work you've done in the future!

Comment

Don

Comment

Don,

A marvelous job with great results!

Well done my friend!

Best regards,
              RonR

Comment

Thanks, Ron - I appreciated the opportunity to acquire the cap at a fair price!

Don

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X