Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do you think ? - Admirals visor

Hello,

your valuable opinion needed on this Kriegsmarine Admirals visor cap.

Thank you

Christian
    Attached Files

side view and interior

side view and interior
    Attached Files

Comment

under the band

under the sweatband
      Attached Files

Comment

What jumps out at me is the lack of "flopishness" in the cap's crown. I expect a KM cap to be more "billowy" ( can't think of the right phrase!) , than that of the Heer, Luftwaffe, SS, etc.
        Just my two pfennigs worth.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Floppy

Bob,

I know what you mean. But to what extend they have to be "floppy" ? And were all the same style ? Apparently not...
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by compressore View Post
            Bob,

I know what you mean. But to what extend they have to be "floppy" ? And were all the same style ? Apparently not...

The one Raeder is wearing is the pre-1936 model that did not have the oakleaves on the visor.

One thing you have to be very careful about with an Admirals' hat is that it is very easy to remove a lower-ranking visor and replace it with an BRD Admirals visor.
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

This is the "floppiness" Bob is referring to:
              Attached Files
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Thanks

Thanks and well noted.
                I have a last pic of this cap.
                Do I understand right that with "floppy" you mean the sides of the cap falling down ?

Thanks for both of your help.

Regards
                Christian
                Attached Files

Comment

Christian--
                  Bob means a larger crown.
                  The hat you posted might be ok, but like I said, it is very easy to chop a visor off and replace it with another.

Admiral visors are as rare as SS General visors, if not rarer, which is why most of them are fakes or Frankensteins.
                  NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

From pictures I can not see anything wrong with this one, I like it, but a detailed hand inspection should be necessary
                    Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                    Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

This was recently sold as the visor of Generaladmiral Otto Schultze at auction.
                      I am interested in opinions:
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

IMO a good Admiral cap , i like it but a hand inspection to see the uniformity of the
                        cap would be needed ...
                        I don't like so much the quality of the Schultze cap , the leather band is horricle for such a requested quality ? or was it replaced ?
                        Nick

Comment

Am I the only one with concerns about the fluted (corrugated) visor; the reverse-buckled strap; and (most importantly) the fact that the bullion on the visor looks like it was made yesterday, while the wreath and eagle show age and verdigris?

NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Admiral visor

It also sold for some big money including a buyers premium of 17 % ..for admiral, it looked quite shabby. Except for the near pristine visor oak leaves already mentioned.

Comment

Admiral Schultze set was sold last Kassel show, but this cap and the reefer were not included in the pieces I saw there. I have to say that I don't like the reefer sold (IMO the label has been added later) and I agree with you about the visor cap. Very unusual visor finish, chinstrap placed in the wrong way, very poor quality buttons, not matching insignias, eagle has a nice patina but very different than wreath, and the visor bullion as you say looks just new. Not a very consistent set IMO.
                              Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                              Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X