Help with some info on this M43 cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with some info on this M43 cap

First post...This cap came back from Italy with my Grandfather at the end of WWII. Remained in his attic until he passed a few years back, then into my hands. I have tried to ID it but have not found a perfect match. Almost looks like Todt colors, but from what I could find Todt was not in Italy. The buttons seem to have been sewn closed so as to not allow the flaps to be put down, which I find rather odd. Estimate on value?

I have a bunch more interesting items to post as time goes on including a K98

Pics:

Welcome to the forum Dave,

The Orgn. Todt were very much involved in Italy 1943-45 building defensive lines. I have several NZ veteran brought back items (buckles, caps, cuff-titles) from them

If the trap is a white eagle on a tan-brown background then your cap looks to be an Orgn.Todt officer cap and possibly Italian made for German use. Button flaps made by the Italians are not always functional. Some do not even have button holes. Also the sweatband which would have originally been in this cap when it was made is missing or removed. The material the cap is made from is Italian gabardine and the lining material typical of Italian officer uniform items/ hats.

Can you post a good close up image of the trap so we can be sure,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
      Welcome to the forum Dave,

The Orgn. Todt were very much involved in Italy 1943-45 building defensive lines. I have several NZ veteran brought back items (buckles, caps, cuff-titles) from them

If the trap is a white eagle on a tan-brown background then your cap looks to be an Orgn.Todt officer cap and possibly Italian made for German use. Button flaps made by the Italians are not always functional. Some do not even have button holes. Also the sweatband which would have originally been in this cap when it was made is missing or removed. The material the cap is made from is Italian gabardine and the lining material typical of Italian officer uniform items/ hats.

Can you post a good close up image of the trap so we can be sure,

Chris
      Thanks Chris!

The trap appears to me to be more of a dark green... here is a closeup

Comment

Nice OT OFF cap in my opinion !
        The trap look more brownish than greenish and the cap is definitively brown ?
        Nick

Comment

+1 regards sergio

Comment

Originally posted by GAMS1 View Post
            Nice OT OFF cap in my opinion !
            The trap look more brownish than greenish and the cap is definitively brown ?
            Nick
            The cap is definitely brown. Still think the trap is more of an olive green. The problem IDing the hat for me I think is the missing sweat band, and maybe that also had some sort of Todt marking on it.

Can this hat be refurbished (add a sweat band and whatever the bill was made of has a crease or two) ? or is it better to be left as a display piece?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveMBA View Post
              Can this hat be refurbished (add a sweat band and whatever the bill was made of has a crease or two) ? or is it better to be left as a display piece?
              This piece was brought back by your grandfather and it is special, it should be left exactly as you found it.

regards,

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X