Early Inf. Peaked cap/Resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Inf. Peaked cap/Resto

Just needed some info on the maker and a little Unit history if possible. Came with the visor detached, chin strap broken as well, so I have re-sewn it back and in doing so found the markings under the sweat band and a folded Newspaper from Oct. 1940 as well. the Unit markings are, 7,/J.R. 60 II, and a couple of shots of the newspaper as well. Thanks all. D.L.
    Attached Files

cap

Attached Files

Comment

cap

Attached Files

Comment

cap

Attached Files

Comment

cap

Attached Files

Comment

cap

Attached Files

Comment

Almost impossible for such a cap to have a leather visor..

Comment

cap

O.K. This visor was in the cap not attached, I'm not saying it was original to the cap, it was with it so I re-attached. All the old sewing holes seemed to line up, it went on rather easy.
                Look, I'm not selling it I just wanted some info on the MM and Unit history. Thank you.

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

cap

Anyone venture a call on the unit markings or Makers Mark please. Thank you.

Comment

Unit is 7 Kompanie / Infanterie Regiment 60

Here is a translated page from Lexikon der Wehrmacht (it's a long read so put your feet up).

http://translate.google.com/translat...tm&prev=search

Comment

cap

Thank you Waffenreich! Excellent record of unit.

Comment

Amazing find STUG III !

Early 1934/35 beginning (!!!) saddle shape private-purchase visor with textbook resadagreen cap band for the period. Made by a rare maker from Hamm and then even stamped by Infanterie-Regiment 60 that was stationed there in 1935.

That's already pretty awesome but then the evidence suggests that this piece was worn as late as October 1940. Other ranks didn't get to wear their visors as much during the war but here it makes perfect sense as the unit was stationed in France as part of the occupation force.

So this piece belonged to someone who was already a member of the early Wehrmacht slightly before the active draft (born around 1917) who got to wear this visor in the winter of 1940/41 before the campaign in the Balkans and Barabarossa of course. This backbone of the German Army perished in the following years and not many of his generation survived if they served in Infantry regiments.

It's one of the most interesting pieces I have seen here in a long time !!!

Now that I have said so many nice things about your find, let me add, however, that I really think this deserves proper restoration. If this were a MINT TRIPLE Erel, I wouldn't care if you tore it apart and used if for parts. This one was there, however...

The leather visor you have on there is neither German nor period. An original one should be fairly easy to find. Chin straps are tough but I'd still have one that is broken in the same place. If you are serious about preserving this piece, you can have it for free... just PM me!

In any case, thanks for sharing this nice piece of history!!!

Kurt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X