• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General's Visor on Ebay

It has a chance, based on these limited pics:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361152451372...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

I like a lot of what I see, Chris, but I'm leaning heavily towards a Franky based on something I see on the first pic. (Hint - look low)

I had a pre-43 Erel Generals Private years ago in my second collection. It and every one I've seen since had this feature.

I hope this is a good one, but until then I lean towards an early Janke shell with wartime Erel "additions" from a donor cap.

The seller knows a lot about TR caps but can't find anyone to give him market price???

Comment

Looks good to me.

Comment

SgtB is right- the seller does know about TR caps. This is evident in my eBay correspondence with him.

Since yesterday, he has raised the starting bid to $3800 and added a "buy it now" for $5k. This is obviously an individual completely out of touch with current fair market value. If original, it is worth no more than $1500 IMHO.

Back to the cap. Based on the limited photos, I can't really find anything wrong with it. The cut of the cap, lining, sweatband and fabric look consistent with Erels of this period.

It looks like there may have been either a bullion eagle or some sort of errant insignia attached - the shadow seems much larger than that of a standard metal heer eagle. Also, the chincord buttons are misaligned - I wouldn't expect this on a cap of this type, but that is just me being picky.

He also does not show a clear photo of the interior or,more importantly, the detached visor. What assurances do we have that it is not transplanted from another cap?
        Last edited by BaselA; 12-17-2014, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I find it interesting that the seller changed the starting prices and added a BIN. I asked for clearer pictures and have not received a response.

Don
          Last edited by DonC; 12-17-2014, 11:22 AM.

Comment

That explains a lot--he puts up crystal-clear pics of the buttons, and a blurry one of the interior.

A privat of this era should be vented, and should have the buttons sewn-on.
            Attached Files
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Preserving it for posterity, as it will come back (they always come back):
              Attached Files
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Attached Files
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Right, the buttons have been monkeyed with (either repros and/or not original to the cap). It is unclear from the photos whether or not there is a vent - I'm guessing there isn't or he would've mentioned it as a selling point.
                  Last edited by BaselA; 12-17-2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Cap looks good, but the starting bid is too high!

Comment

Anndddd its gone

"Ended by the seller due to an error in the listing"

Lets see if and how it resurfaces.

Comment

Either that, Basel, or somebody thinks they got the buy of the century!

Don

Comment

I'll bet he yanked it due to the negative publicity he was getting over here.
                          As I stated, it will be back in one form or another...they always come back....
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Looks like he relisted. Too bad he went with the same terrible photos

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-1943-ARM...item23475ff04f

Comment

Back for the 4th (or 5th) time in 4 months:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-1943-ARM...item234d883e0a
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X