Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAK tropenhelm

Hi all:
    What do you think about this DAK Tropenhelm? The liner and chinstrap look OK to me, but the pristine beauty of the helmet itself and especially of the leather lining around the brim makes me...nervous.
    Attached Files

detailed pics

pics of the inside
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like it could be an unissued Luftwaffe (brown trim) with Heer chinstrap (olive green). Looks original from the pics. Any markings?
      I would be inclined to think that this is a later example judging by the felt under the brim.

Mark

Comment

A strange one iv'e never seen before. Looks like a cross of a canvas exterior and felt interior.

-Ray-

Comment

Originally posted by -Ray- View Post
          A strange one iv'e never seen before. Looks like a cross of a canvas exterior and felt interior.

-Ray-
          Something that I haven't seen before either Ray but am not surprised having seen a mix of tan and olive/green material sometimes on the same tropical caps. The use of felt is what made me think that this is a later manufacture.

Mark

Comment

Looks like one of the stock unissued LW helmets found in CZ years ago. With a Herr chinstrap added. The inner liner is odd, being felt (2nd pattern), not cloth (1st pattern) ? It likely is a later 1st pattern as Mark mentions. Liner has damage when compared to the outer helmet itself. Maybe poor storage, or the liner could be replaced and it has been repaired sometime.....

Would like to see the maker & date stamp underneath the sweatband if possible ? It looks like it may be made by the maker "diamond R" from '42 ?

Comment

Wow, that is interesting.

A cross-over model between the two. First model on the outside, second model on the inside.

Note how it has second model felt on the inside of the brim rather than the linen or twill seen on the first model.

Its a hybrid for sure,

Chris

Comment

marks on inside

some marks on the inside of the sweat band
                Attached Files

Comment

SS use.????

Hi all:
                  would the Waffen SS ever have used such a hybrid Tropenhelm in Corisca, Italy, and other Southern areas? (or did they specifically us Wehrmacht stock??)

Comment

Thanks for the added photos. Never seen those markings before. No date or size stamp ? interesting....

This looks like one of the many surplus stock unissued LW sunhelmets that were found in CZ years ago. With a Herr chinstrap added post war.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernst60 View Post
                      some marks on the inside of the sweat band
                      Interesting,

I have seen that triple number series marking on West German headgear or Third Reich headgear made post war in the 1950's, 60's & 70's.

So is this tropical helmet a post war put together ???

Chris

Comment

an unusual variation as I like everyone else here have not seen such as this before.

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                          Interesting,

I have seen that triple number series marking on West German headgear or Third Reich headgear made post war in the 1950's, 60's & 70's.

Chris
                          Thanks Chris, not a LW helemet afterall.

This confirms what i suspected all along....put together. My first impression was that is is a 1st pattern exterior with an added 2nd pattern interior. The damage & repair to the interior does not match the exterior. It would not be that difficult to swap out domes etc.

First time we've seen one, but it won't be the last i'm sure....

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                            Interesting,

Chris
                            \

Good memory, Chris--it is common to find the triple serial #s on postwar BRD, Austrian and fake TR caps, but I have never seen them on a period TR cap to this day. IMO, this is a Frankenstein Tropenhelm--a first for me.
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X