Officer's Side Cap for evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer's Side Cap for evaluation

Hi, I just bought this side cap from that well-known German dealer who's doing a 30% discount on all items right now. He seems to have a fair reputation and I liked it, so...

I'm not a photographer, nor do I own a fancy camera, but I hope the pix are OK. The cap looks fine in hand, at least to me.

What do you think?

The seller (Mr K. W.) claims it's a Gebirgsjäger and according to the (very light and colour-intense) photos on the webshop, it stood a chance as being that. In hand, the soutache definitely is Beamte-green, though. I'm sure you agree.

Assuming that the cap is original and considering its good condition (little wear and a few moth bites) I still think it's worth the EUR 400:- I paid, or? ...

Any input appreciated!

IMG_0112-2.jpg

IMG_0109-3.jpg

More pix.

[ATTACH]2990894[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2990895[/ATTACH]

Comment

More pix..

[ATTACH]2990896[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2990897[/ATTACH]

Comment

More pix...

[ATTACH]2990900[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2990901[/ATTACH]

Comment

look very dark green to me,so admin officer.

Comment

Very nice Admin and not a bad price for such a quality cap

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by AndersB View Post
              He seems to have a fair reputation

he has a very bad reputation............

Comment

Very nice Administration OFF side cap !
                Regarding the reputation , it's always better to judge the items themself and then the "reputation" IMO.
                Nick

Comment

Originally posted by GAMS1 View Post
                  Very nice Administration OFF side cap !
                  Regarding the reputation , it's always better to judge the items themself and then the "reputation" IMO.
                  Nick
                  Not when the dealer is an all out con man and crook. Some of the biggest scams pulled by this guy. J

Comment

I didn't say he was a saint ...
                    Nick

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Admin obviously, and am sure the dealer knew that when he put it up for sale.... if you buy from this guy, you'd better know your stuff or you will get burned.

Comment

Yep, that's good advise. Still, I like the cap and was aware that it was a good chance it's an admin when I ordered it. Keeper.

I have brought up the subject with the seller who offered to take it back and still claims it's a Gebirgsjäger. I put this cap right beside an easily identified Beamte auf Kriegsdauer visor that I have and, though of different materials, the piping of that one (though at bit light for an admin) is very close to the soutache of this sidecap in question. Sent KW a phote, but he remains silent. Of course, there's a minor chance it was ideed worn by a Gebirgsjäger/Jäger, since I believe I have seen examples of quite dark green visor pipings on GJ caps, but... Oh, these green pipings...

Comment

Every collector should develop his own criteria for what he adds to his collection.
                            If you have limited expertise in a given field, it would be best to learn as much as you can about that topic.
                            When you're comfortable about making a decision, you don't need to worry about a dealer's reputation. NO ONE sells ALL bad items, and armed with your confidence in your accumulated expertise, YOU will buy or not buy. based on it.

As stated, this cap is original, but IMO, not GJ. Who knows? maybe it's a Beamte attached to a GJ unit!
                            If you look at many offerings of "Gebirgsjaeger" visors etc, you will find many that appear to be Beamte with the Edelweiss added. GJ caps command more money than Beamte, and hence, the "embellishment".

Comment

Right. Here, by the way, is the photo comparing this sidecap with a Beamte a. Kr. visor (which is prepared for "Lüftung" but then provided with this bullion wreath and a "solid" cockade. Looks like it's been there from the start. So far I've resited the temptation to drill a whole in the backing of the wreath and put on a vented cockade... Just kidding). I say it's a pretty good match:

IMG_0123-2.jpg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X