Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tropical overseas cap #2

Hello,
    My other tropical cap, bought at a militaria show in Prague a number of years ago. If it was ever worn, it was only very little, though it may have been part of a bundle of these found in the former Sudetenland. I believe it is original, but wanted to get it looked over here by those more knowledgeable than I am in cloth items. It appears to have never had a soutache.
    Thank you,
    Dale
    Attached Files

a
    Attached Files

Comment

b
      Attached Files

Comment

c
        Attached Files

Comment

Several issues with this cap.
          The eagle is replaced, that's obvious as Halfar zig-zag sewed their insignia. But the alarm bells are clanging over that stamp just for starters. Not Halfar's font or orientation in a cap that I have ever seen. Also the grommets look very funky from the one shot showing the interior while the colour of the outer grommet enamel is wrong while looking painted and rubbed, not chipped as they would be (or popped off as they also do).
          No sign of a removed soutache on a 1941 cap...? Very wrong.
          Here's a Halfar stamp (un-boxed layout) to compare.

Regards,
          Mark
          NZ
          Attached Files

Comment

Mark, you are always the N1!! This cap has really something strange, but I wanted to wait to someone else to hear and confirm my suspects

Comment

Hi Dale

I am not a fan of this one unfortunately and I agree with Mark. That is not the typical Halfar eagle application, the stamp is not like any originals I have seen or caps in my collection-one which I have shown here and the bright red interior is a big red flag in my opinion.

Barry
              Attached Files

Comment

Well, now you see why I said in my other thread that cloth headgear is not my strongpoint! Does the insignia at least have a chance? Luckily I didn't pay too much for the cap.
                Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Stepdale View Post
                  Well, now you see why I said in my other thread that cloth headgear is not my strongpoint! Does the insignia at least have a chance? Luckily I didn't pay too much for the cap.
                  Dale
                  As other have stated, a very strange Halfar to say the least.

Never seen grommets on a Halfar like that

Sadly, the eagle is a known fake and I am not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about the cockade,

Chris

Comment

Both pieces of insig are Japanese polyester repro's. Cap is repro.

Robt.

Comment

Unfortunately a complete fabrication. Robert is spot on with the insignia.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mayer View Post
                        Mark, you are always the N1!! This cap has really something strange, but I wanted to wait to someone else to hear and confirm my suspects
                        Thank You - My post was an understated way of letting the owner understand why his cap is a reproduction meant to fool collectors - with some form of explanation to help him next time.
                        Take Care,
                        Mark
                        NZ

Comment

Originally posted by RGD51 View Post
                          Both pieces of insig are Japanese polyester repro's. Cap is repro.

Robt.
                          Spot On, grommets, stamp, insignia all bad. Look at the eagles feet, well where they are supposed to be anyways

Comment

Thanks for the lesson guys, and another reason I need to learn to carry a portable black light to shows to at least spot the obvious fakes!
                            Dale

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X