Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tropical overseas cap #1

Hello,
    This one came many years ago from a house picker in the former Sudetenland. It's a bit rough and needs to be cleaned, but just wanted to show it here since headgear is not my strongpoint. I believe it may have been worn postwar as I can't see shadows where the original insignia was, and it has a name inked on the inside that may or may not be German. Sadly, it once had a pink soutache.
    Thank you,
    Dale
    Attached Files

a
    Attached Files

Comment

b
      Attached Files

Comment

Last picture
        Attached Files

Comment

Excellent cap from a quality maker.
          Yes - stripped and used post war. Still a very collectable cap for it's own sake.
          Regards,
          Mark
          NZ

Comment

Nice cap Dale thanks for posting. On the first pic there is a spot where the eagle would have been in my opinion that is less faded than the rest of the cap-or it's just my eyes playing tricks on me

Barry

Comment

Thanks guys. Sometimes I think I can see where it had insignia and sometimes not.
              Dale

Comment

....maybe belonged to a POW?

Comment

Originally posted by mayer View Post
                  ....maybe belonged to a POW?
                  i dont think so as it was found in sudetenland in Czech republic and the name look to be czech,so just a cap used post war by someone in czech army ,theater or by civil
                  nice cap by the way.will look much better with insignia

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred.R View Post
                    i dont think so as it was found in sudetenland in Czech republic and the name look to be czech,so just a cap used post war by someone in czech army ,theater or by civil

Oh yes, I red bad the post, I thought it was found in the US

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred.R View Post
                      Regardless of where it was found. I think it has a very good chance of being a POW cap that he wore home to the Czech republic or brought home in his pack after his release at the end of the war.

This quote from MarkG taken from the thread listed below about tropical sidecaps is another reason why I think POW and Afrika POW at that;

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
                      $1250 a piece for a beehive cap? Maybe considering that these are panzer without the post war added soutache. If this were a bundle of Carl Halfar's or Emil Schebeler's they would be gone before you knew it and farmed out at nearly twice the price if not more as they are amongst the few makers to produce caps that were actually issued and used in North Africa, particularly sidecaps.

Mark

A tropical sidecap by this maker is a real find that does not turn up every day. These are the ones that were worn and saw it all.

Here is the thread if you want to read more;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=757016

Chris

Comment

Interesting address that puts him in Berlin in the same neighborhood as Robt. Lubstein, Berlin No 55. Very nice heavy trikot cap.

Robt.

Comment

No issues with this cap. Emil Schebeler is one of the very few makers of early caps and sidecaps (even fewer makers of these). Well done with your find.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                            Regardless of where it was found. I think it has a very good chance of being a POW cap that he wore home to the Czech republic or brought home in his pack after his release at the end of the war.

This quote from MarkG taken from the thread listed below about tropical sidecaps is another reason why I think POW and Afrika POW at that;

A tropical sidecap by this maker is a real find that does not turn up every day. These are the ones that were worn and saw it all.

Here is the thread if you want to read more;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=757016

Chris
                            Chris to be honest ,dont take me wrong please but you has no idea what happend with Germans in sudetenland under russian from may 1945 ,no one come back as familys are sent to west and a lot of them was shot before they are able to escape.
                            this cap was worn as a lot tropical stuff that was found in Germans depots by a Czech guy.

Comment

Really nice cap, could have been an early DAK cap or possibly perhaps from a Cz depot. Here is some info from another thread...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=743165

From member Nick on the tropical depot in Prague.

"Directly from the Album of a WSS Polizei Division member Greece Summer 44 !
                              He said they were issued the complete tropical outfit including a ...brand new sand helmet !
                              Not only repainted on the outside but completely sand colour !
                              That was in a logistic center in the north of Prag, a city called Mlada Boleslav now .
                              When he came back from Greece and went to the Ostfront , he gave back the whole tropical outfit he had and received a russian front outfit again .
                              And left his sand colour helmet in Mlada Boleslav !
                              Some of the pictures in his Album

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X