Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the LW visor cap rear seam

Hi to everyone.....
    I'd like to have a your kind opinion about the LW visor caps.
    Do you think that the rear seam of the mohair band is ALWAYS incorrect or you have found this feature on unquestionable LW caps as well ?
    Really thanks for your answers.....
    Giorgio

Hi Giorgio,

Gary Wilkins in his book on cloth caps, states that the seam at the back on all Luftwaffe caps is incorrect, but I disagree with this. I think that statement is correct for officer examples certainly, but for Other Ranks/EM caps not so, as these were sometime done by smaller cap makers, you will find the seam at the rear on a few of these caps. I have a superb Signals cap with a rear seam which has been shown before, I can send you some photos if you like...

Cheers

Bob (can't post the photos up, as my paid membership has lapsed).

Comment

Plenty of original LW visors (both officer and EM/NCO) have seams at the back--no rule was absolute during the TR.

As another example, ever notice how many LW EM/NCO visors have Heer chinstraps on them?
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

And Heer visors too

Yeah I guess the officer caps do turn up with the rear seam occasionally, but the major makers stuck to the front seam for officer caps, it is reason to look very closely at the rest of the cap though....

Stoney is the Master...

Bob

Comment

Really thanks for your answers Bob and Stonemint......
          Usually I accept this feature as possible...but after a lot of discussions with other local collectors I decided to open a larger discussion.......

"As another example, ever notice how many LW EM/NCO visors have Heer chinstraps on them?"
          You are perfectly right Stonemint.....

"I have a superb Signals cap with a rear seam which has been shown before, I can send you some photos if you like..."
          Really thanks Bob...I'll send you via PM my mail so I'll add some pics to this thread.......
          Again...thanks a lot and all my best from Turin...
          Giorgio

Comment

Here we are with some pics gently sent by Bob Lyons.....
            Thanks Bob....
            A beautiful LW signal......with the rear seam....
            I'd say absolutly unquestionable.....
            Attached Files
            Last edited by giorgio; 09-06-2014, 04:18 AM.

Comment

inside and the rear seam....
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello Giorgio,
                I agree with the other gentlemen, that the seem could be on the front or the back, and chinstrap buckles could be both patterns as well.
                If anyone disagrees, I would love to have that signals visor; what a lovely cap!
                Thank you,
                Curtiss

Comment

Thanks to you as well Curtiss...
                  Regards
                  Giorgio

Comment

looks good

Comment

Thanks Colt45....
                      Pls if someone has pics of LW cap with rear seam...jump in and post them....so we have this feature just in one thread....
                      All my best
                      Giorgio

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X