Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MLH13 View Post
    Mark,

So you're the one who snagged this cap! Congrats! I was a few minutes too late.

You paid a hell of a price for it too. Good job!

Mark

Was the cap on an auction? What was the price?
    Just for curios in what price range penal caps are.

Comment

I have never fully understood the circumstances surrounding these so-called penal caps. Certainly the convicts serving in these units wouldn't purchase a (relatively) expensive cap trumpeting their disgraced status. Perhaps these were worn by the cadre of the penal units. I believe those convicted members of penal units were not allowed to wear most insignia (breast eagles, cap eagles, cockades, standard belt buckles etc.) Does anyone have photographic evidence of the attire in penal units?

Comment

Originally posted by steiner99 View Post
        Was the cap on an auction? What was the price?
        Just for curios in what price range penal caps are.
        The cap was on the website of SV Militaria here in the states, for only $485!
        I gave it some thought, but passed, the lack of colored piping makes the cap look so bland to me. Probably a stupid mindset, but what can I say?
        A real bargain, IMHO.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
          I have never fully understood the circumstances surrounding these so-called penal caps. Certainly the convicts serving in these units wouldn't purchase a (relatively) expensive cap trumpeting their disgraced status. Perhaps these were worn by the cadre of the penal units. I believe those convicted members of penal units were not allowed to wear most insignia (breast eagles, cap eagles, cockades, standard belt buckles etc.) Does anyone have photographic evidence of the attire in penal units?

This was my line of thinking also, and the understanding that these penal units were not formed until about 1942 . So the 1938 hat date makes it more confusing for me.
          I would not think cadre , as I believe they were supervised by Heer Feldgendarmerie .

It is still an outstanding hat and I really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
            I would also like answers and understand the questions raised here. Are the any circumstance and or time in the German Army where uncolored piped visors would have been worn, other than for the penal scenario. The same questions apply to neutrally piped shoulderboards. J
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys for the great comments. Yea, I was in the right place at the right time. A bargain for such a rare visor.

I was always of the mindset that these were used by the NCOs supervising the penal battalions. I would love see proper documentation on these uncolored visors. All I know is that these visors are really hard to come by. Either they were worn for a very short period of time, or by a very small unit.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X