Ratisbons

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KM Company Grade Visor Cap - Is it too Late For a Restoration? Opinions Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM Company Grade Visor Cap - Is it too Late For a Restoration? Opinions Please.

Tiny Cap, probably size 55 that has suffered some neglect. Surprisingly, the wool really is in pretty good shape. Not even a moth nip. The rest, well that's another story, it was squished flat in storage.

I think in the right hands it could be brought back to life, but that's easy to say when you have never done a restoration.

I had never found or owned a KM visor cap before getting this one, but I bought this anyway despite the condition. Everything looks like I would expect with regard to bullion insignia, sweatband and visor stitching, but wanted to make sure before I offer it here on the estand.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Colorado; 07-27-2014, 02:24 PM.
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Definitely worth restoring, IMHO. These are rare and valuable headgear.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
          Definitely worth restoring, IMHO. These are rare and valuable headgear.

Bob Shoaf
          me agree,.

Comment

Nice cap save it.

Comment

Thanks for the comments and glad it's restoration worthy. All those years and never saw or handled a KM visor cap, but it looked like I expected one to look when it came my way.

I am guessing not that many US Vets encountered Kriegsmarine men as they would the other German forces could explain why certain items never come out of the woodwork. Also suppose many of these worn examples went down with the ship.

Comment

woww that a very nice salty dog these kind of caps are the real beasts i smell the sea

Comment

Very nice cap! worth reshaping and restoring with a chinstrap if you can find one.
                  Wonderful cap.
                  John

Comment

The new owner found a chinstrap and has worked on restoring. Hopefully, he will post when the work is complete.

Thanks for the posts!

Comment

I wouldn't restore any further than gently adding the chin strap/buttons and placing it on a headstand form to allow the shape to reset. A nice cap.

-Ray-

Comment

Don't touch it, leave it as it is.

Comment

This is not how the cap looked when it was taken by the vet, so I vote for a proper restoration. One has to be extremely cautious, as these items, especially in a shape like this, are very fragile, so only the necessary things have to be done, and by an experienced hands only, of course.

I would clean it professionally to stop further degradation from that cause.
                          Than resewing the broken stitches and replycing the buttons and chin strap.

Comment

Originally posted by -Ray- View Post
                            I wouldn't restore any further than gently adding the chin strap/buttons and placing it on a headstand form to allow the shape to reset. A nice cap.

-Ray-
                            X2....Bodes

Comment

Any updates on this project?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X