David Hiorth

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eagles on Luftwaffe suede fur caps machine or hand sewn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eagles on Luftwaffe suede fur caps machine or hand sewn?

Hi Guys,

were the eagles on Luftwaffe winter suede fur caps machine sewn, hand sewn or both? Our WAF friend Vincent Slegers mentions is his book on winter uniforms that the eagles on this type of cap were machine applied. When looking at the one pictured below, I am thinking hand sewn but it does not look like it has been reapplied. If so, than the eagles on this type of cap must also have been hand sewn. Comments on this fexing question are most welcome. Thanks.

Cheers, W
    Attached Files

Both applications were used.

Comment

Hand application was absolutely done with these during the period and of course machine applied as well.

Comment

Interesting topic. From my point of view a machine sewn example would be as it left the factory and was done during assembly and rendered by a certain machine. Once the cap is assembled it would be nearly impossible to do because the cap could no longer go under the presser foot of a straight stitch machine however, cap makers and cobblers did use free arm machines. How many left the factory blank?....my guess lots and then insignia hand applied by a quartermaster/ company tailor, or soldier . Your answer of "both" fits nicely and makes sense. Out of curiosity, does the stitching on your insig. catch or go through to the lining?

Only my 2 cents.

Robt.

Comment

Both were done ..
          Era pics sometimes show no insignia or even metal insignia on these.
          Also, in some cases twisted cord and/or silver chin strap was added for officer.

Jos.

Comment

Don't know if this one was one was machine sewn, but I believe it was denazified and then "re-nazified"....

Attached Files
            RonR

Comment

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the input. So we conclude that both hand and machine application are good for this type of cap. Thanks for clearing this up.

Cheers, W

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X