Interesting crown stiffner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting crown stiffner?

I picked up this beautiful HPC that unfortunately lost its visor at some point in its life off of estand (if anyone has an original visor or chincord buttons/cord for sale let me know!) Right away I noticed that it had a LOT of padding, even for an HPC. further investigation revealed a very strange stiffener spring inside:

I carefully removed it, it looks homemade, but why would somebody want to make a spring like this? It has a possibly original to the hat flat steel spring with crimped on ends inside, and then a 1" thick "Sheathe" made of very stiff fishing line like net tubing held together at the ends with some old brown paper tape. It fits this hat perfectly and some thought clearly went into it, is there any chance the original owner added it to get some extra "perkiness"? Here is how the hat looks with the spring removed:

It is identical to the spring devices used in US Service caps from the 1970s...I would date it from the perhaps the earliest 1960s-1980s.

Other countries may also have used this design.....but it does not predate the 1960s IMO

Comment

That hat-spring is most likely US Military issue. I have several US Army and Air Force caps with that exact spring in it.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X