Before & after-Repairing a Recruting/Feldgendarmerie Visor Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before & after-Repairing a Recruting/Feldgendarmerie Visor Hat

I had this hat that I had bought and put up for review in an earlier thread.
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=736792

As it turned out to be good, I had been looking for someone to bring it back up to snuff. Our fellow member, tgn, took care of things in a really outstanding way!! I know that he had just recently reattached some SD insignia to an SS/SD tunic that someone had mistakenly and foolishly stripped, thinking that it was a repro.

First are a few "before" pictures. I had him reapply the metal insignia because I wanted it done right...not my fumble fingered attempts. I know I would have been unhappy with what I would have ended up with, had I done it! He also resewed the visor back onto the body of the hat itself. A really top-notch job.
    In the after pictures, any little spots that you might see are a little misting on the lens. Really humid here today, just wating to turn into a storm.

What I don't understand is how the Germans used the same piping, the same waffenfarbe, for 2 different branches of the Heer. Burnt orange for recruiting and for Feldgendarmerie??? It doesn't make sense, knowing the orderly German mind, the organizational skills that they had. Can anyone explain this for me??? I am really puzzled by it. I haven't found anything in the literature that helps, not at all!
    Thanx for looking.
    Tim
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TP Alexander; 06-19-2014, 08:26 PM.

One more "before" shot!
    Attached Files

Comment

Now to the "finished" project.
      I really would like it to be a Feldgendarmerie visor hat, but I really don't think there is any way to know positively, without personally having wrenched it off the head of a 'chain dog'.
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

orange

Regarding the two uses of orange Waffenfarbe, pre-war orange is usually found on the Waffenrock and visor hats of recruiting personnel for sure. When the war began the recruiters changed to white Waffenfarbe which made them appear more "front line experienced" or associated with the fighting troops and the Feldgendarmerie took over the orange which was already a police-associated color. Exact dates are not known to me but such is my understanding of the color's use. I knew a lot of German veterans but never one who was a recruiter to ask about this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                    Regarding the two uses of orange Waffenfarbe, pre-war orange is usually found on the Waffenrock and visor hats of recruiting personnel for sure. When the war began the recruiters changed to white Waffenfarbe which made them appear more "front line experienced" or associated with the fighting troops and the Feldgendarmerie took over the orange which was already a police-associated color. Exact dates are not known to me but such is my understanding of the color's use. I knew a lot of German veterans but never one who was a recruiter to ask about this topic.
                    So.....just as a scenario.....a recruiter in 1938 or 1939, who had to change over to a white waffenfarbe, would have surrendered his visor hat and been issued or bought a new visor hat, piped in white.....and the burnt orange visor would have been turned back in to the clothing depot to be reissued at a later date. The recruiter could not continue to wear the burnt orange piped hat, being 'grandfathered' in, so to speak???
                    Does that make any sense or am I just whistling in the dark???
                    Last edited by TP Alexander; 06-19-2014, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Verry Nice cap !

Comment

Orange colour was used for the following branches: cf Uniforms & Traditions of the german army 1933-1945 of J. Angolia.
                        -1937-1940: Suppementary officers, recruting offices
                        - 1940-1945: Corps of engeneers officers, Miltary police, ordnance personnel, ammunition administration units, articifer NCO's, weapons maintenance sergeants

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X