German Pith Helmet Real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Pith Helmet Real?

I was at a local antique market with a friend who collects civil war stuff and happened across this beauty (hopefully). I don't know anything about these helmets other than some very basic elements such as the red interior and the vented "smarty" on top. I ended up picking it up for 85$ CAD and refereed the gentleman to this sight as he had many other helmets pre-world war two.

Anyhow, im very curious as to what I truly got myself as it is stamped on the inside of the sweatband but i cant quite make out the maker mark. the strangest part is that it is stamped made in germany on the sweatband that touches the head of the wearer. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Its an original 1st pattern Herr tropenhelm missing its shields (can be restored easily). Maker is Gelles & Co, one of the many makers of sunhelmets. The damage is do to storage over the years. The "made in Germany" stamp was for USA import post war. Many German surplus sunhelmets were imported & sold for around $7 back in the USA in the '50's & 60's. Well done

Comment

Originally posted by Tim OK View Post
        Its an original 1st pattern Herr tropenhelm missing its shields (can be restored easily). Maker is Gelles & Co, one of the many makers of sunhelmets. The damage is do to storage over the years. The "made in Germany" stamp was for USA import post war. Many German surplus sunhelmets were imported & sold for around $7 back in the USA in the '50's & 60's. Well done

Thanks Tim!

Its insane how much some of this stuff sold for way back when! The added Made in Germany stamp and the story behind it is quite interesting, were other pieces that were sold and stamped in the same way? Would you suggest cleaning the helmet and if so how would you recommend doing it? As for a set of real shields, how much do they run these days?

Thanks,
        B

Comment

Those were the golden days for guys that were getting into WWII collecting. You could sit at the barber shop reading Guns & Ammo and see ads for "Rommels Sun Helmets, $14.95". As far as I remember they were the felt ones and being sold by various import company's. Gun dealers back then were also acquiring huge quantities of steel helmets of all types and selling for absurd prices but everything is relevant and when you were a kid cutting grass to make your war souvenir purchases, $10 seemed like alot! Still fun to think about.

Robt.

Comment

Originally posted by Beattie-B View Post
            Thanks Tim!

Its insane how much some of this stuff sold for way back when! The added Made in Germany stamp and the story behind it is quite interesting, were other pieces that were sold and stamped in the same way? Would you suggest cleaning the helmet and if so how would you recommend doing it? As for a set of real shields, how much do they run these days?

Thanks,
            B
            The Made in Germany stamp was used widely on the surplus 2nd pattern (felt) and some surplus 1st pattern (cloth) tropenhelms which did not see service during the War. So these stamped with the "Made in Germany" have always been valued a little less than those that are not stamped and may have seen service during the war. Would leave it as is and not try to clean it except dust etc. Shields can be found for around $35 - 55 each.

& Robert it sounds like we grew up in the same small town. Hanging out at the Barber shop on Saturday's browsing Gun's & Ammo. And trying to save money by mowing the lawn and pulling weeds, yes those were the days....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X