• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new Bergmütze (mountain cap) 2

My new Bergmütze (mountain cap) 2

[imghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/834/03nj5.jpg[/img]

Hi Gebirgsari,

"My new Bergmütze (mountain cap) 2" - When you say 'new', do you mean that you are finding these around the neighborhood (e.g. flea market) or are you purchasing these items from vendors? I ask because I'm extremely jealous of those that find these artifacts in their backyard.

Concerning your cap, it is of course an Einheitsfeldmütze (M43) rather than a Bergmütze. If the insignia was originally applied, it could very well have been worn by a Gebirgstruppen, who may have called it a Bergmütze. Only us collectors would make the distinction.

Though the cap and insignia do look original (to me), I am terrible at detecting 'when' the insignia was applied, especially from photographs. Hand stitching is always suspect, but it was a common practice on originals.

With all that said, I really like the cap. I have a Gebirgs-M43 in much worse shape. It is an important part of my Gebirgsjäger Collection.

-Matt
    Last edited by Gebirgsjgr; 05-26-2014, 07:10 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Hello Matt,

the cap is from a classical art business (Antiquitätengeschäft) in Munich, they have their things mostly from house resolutions or people who sell their old things if her grandparents have passed away!
      You are right, the cap is a M43, the screen is longer than the Bergmütze (mountain cap)!

Gebirgsari

Comment

Still - it's is something that was definitely worn by the Gebirgsäger - though I would argue that the Bergmütze continued to be made after the adoption of the M43.

There are actually a number of differences besides the length of the visor. In fact, there are M43's that were produced exactly as the regular issue with a number of changes to make them more Bergmütze like.

-Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X