Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HH Auction Robby Wilson

Hi,

can soembody give me a background on the next weeks HH auction "Collection Robby Wilson" in addition to what HH is writing ?

Was Mr. Wilson a known collector with good items ?
    Had somebody had the chance to inspect some of the headgear ?
    As all items are in the US, I want to feel a bit more secure before bidding as an inspection by myself is not possible.

Thanks
    Christian

I can't help you about Robby Wilson, but I don't understand why all this stuff what HH sale is not in Germany, as the auction is IN germany!!
    Before I offer I would like to keep things in my hands, to see the real condition.
    Items at HH are often the condition much worse as in the description is writen or on picture shown.

Comment

1. Their absurd nearly 25% fee
      2. Fax in a bid and it mysteriously disappears

Comment

Hi,

From what I know.....Rob Wilson was an attorney in AR and established a museum for all types of military headgear. He passed away unexpectedly last year and a majority of the museum items are being sold. Some of the items are being retained and are to be given to other museums (i.e. not sold on the private collectors market).

The items were available for examination at the SOS and are being kept in HH's US office which is managed by Jason Burmeister.

Gary B
        ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

I took a look at a few of the caps at the SOS, where HH had s separate room with a huge display of headgear, and catalogs for sale for $ 30 ( !!) .
          I agree that HH's buyer's fee is absurd. Having viewed the huge colection on HH"s website, I must say that their are some very nice caps for sale, likely some questionnable, and a LOT of helmets. I believe over 300 lots are offered, if I recall correctly.
          Many of the reserve prices look low, but methinks that means little or nothing.
          If the buyers fee was the more normal 15% or so, I might be interested, but not at their outrageous rate. By the time you pay the high shipping charges, your " bargain" will disappear.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

I have not bid or joined the HH auction. How does it work? Is it live, or is it a silent auction? Is there bidding like on Ebay?
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Hi,
              no, not like E-Bay.
              It is a "conventional" auction with bidders in the salesroom but in parallel absentee bidders can bid online trough an electronic auction platform.
              If you are an internet bidder you can see the auctioneer via video streaming and listen to his actions.
              He can see your internet bids on his screen and takes you into the bidding round same as you were personally in the room.
              So instead raising your hand in the auction room you press a button.....
              It works quite well.
              Regards
              Christian

Comment

here some pics
                http://http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724361&page=17

Comment

Some nice pieces on offer but with not being able to bid live online, the 25% buyer premium, the Euro conversion, and the lack of proper photographs - it is simply not even worth participating in the auction.

Comment

Thanks for the insight, guys.

As a condition collector, I find their grading system (they use the old Manions scale of IV-I+) to be generous. Some of their mint hats have obvious mothing.
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I would assume these are part of the late John Pepara collection that will be auctioned in May?:
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

It is unfortunate they decided to go with HH as the auction house. In doing so, they've essentially shut out most American buyers - the 25% fee alone covers the typical dealer markup on the items..

Comment

The exchange rate is also a killer. On top of that, you have to add conversion fees charged by your bank. Then there is shipping (but all of the Wilson and Pepara collection items are apparently here).
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Couldn't the sellers find a reputable U.S. auction house, or even British auctioneer that doesn't charge the exorbitant fees that HH does?

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Hi,
                              why it is 25 % ?
                              It says (in Germany) 23%, including VAT which is 7%.
                              So real "fees" going to HH are about 15%.
                              So for me, living in a VAT free country, I have to pay the 15% "only"
                              It is different in the US ?

Regards
                              Christian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X