Early Zoll ( customs ) visor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Zoll ( customs ) visor

I recently bought this early ( up to 1937-1938 ) Zoll visor.
    Visor is dark green with a black cloth cap band and red piping.
    There's a single cockade and a black leather chin strap for lower ranks.
    The cap eagle is the special customs cap eagle.... this eagle looks like the standard large ( 55 mm ) state eagle ( found on postal and forestry visors ) but is different.....
    This cap eagle for "Zollbeamte" can be found in the Assmann & Sohne catalogue ( Catalogue number 24847 ) , I've explained the difference at the bottom of my post......
    I've seen examples of these rare visors at dealers sites and Ebay with the large gold state eagle but this is not correct. The gold eagle was for the water customs ( "Wasserzoll beamten" ) , this gold customs cap eagle is also mentioned in the Assmann Catalogue.
    Regulations mention the "Silberne Hoheitszeichen" , here's some text from a regulation I've found regarding these early land customs visor :

"Dienstmütze aus dunkelgrünem Tuch mit schwarzem Lederschirm, in Form der Reichswehrklappmütze, mit Besatzstreifen vom schwarzem Stoff. Besatzstreifen und Decklenaht mit roten Biesen.
    Vorn auf dem Besatzstreifen eine schwarz-weiß(silber)-rote Kokarden, am Oberteil der Mütze das silberne Hoheitszeichen (vgl. Zeichnung d)."

Here are some pictures.....

Theo

Below you can see the difference between a standard state eagle and the Zoll Beamten cap eagle.... note the shape of the eagle's wings......

Here's a picture which clearly shows the sharp , straight edges of the eagle's wingtips.....

Visor in wear :

The same eagle in gold for the early water customs beamten :

Last edited by DRK; 03-07-2014, 06:51 AM.

Theo, fantastic score--I enjoyed the lesson as well....
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Thanx Chris

Comment

Early "Reichsfinanzverwaltung" ( Zoll ) visors in wear.....

Comment

Great study! The Assmann catalog shots are great!

Thank you!

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by JackHun View Post
            Great study! The Assmann catalog shots are great!

Thank you!

Jack
            yes they are Jack

Theo

Comment

Theo, are you sure gold eagles were not worn with Landzoll visors of this period? I do not have any regulations, but all existing examples I have seen had gold pebbled buttons with a gold eagle.
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Chris ,

I made some close-ups of some 1st. pattern , early , zoll visors in wear.
                Also made a close-up of a Reichsbahn official with gold visor insignia , compare the insignia on the other pics.... it looks like the eagle's on the zoll visors are silver / aluminum...... look at the brightness of the cap eagles.

Plus the fact that the Assmann catalogue specifically mention the visor cap eagle for Zoll Beamten AND the gold one for the Wasser Zoll .....

But we all know that regulations were not Always followed so it could be that the gold eagles were worn on Landcustoms visors..... or they were post-war "modified" by dealers to increase the price because a gold eagle looks much better than an aluminum one

But looking at wartime pictures and looking at both the aluminum and gold eagle in the Assmann catalogue I'm 99,9% sure that early landzoll visors had the silver / aluminum cap eagle and the wasserzoll visors the gold cap eagle.....

Compare the look / color of the eagle & cockade with the gold buttons :

Last edited by DRK; 03-08-2014, 03:47 PM.

Comment

I also found this example with the Original , silvered Zoll eagle ( the one with the "sharp" wingtips I mentioned in my previous post )

There was also a silver / aluminum cap eagle for Lanzoll visors and a gold cap eagle for Wasserzoll visors prescribed for the 2nd. pattern , 1938 , visor caps..... so it all makes sense to me......

Last edited by DRK; 03-08-2014, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Theo, great discussion, and I am always happy to learn.

The Zoll uniforms utilized gold buttons during the Weimar and TR eras. Wouldn't it necessarily follow that they wore gold eagles?

Is it possible that the silver eagle was for Administrative Zoll officials?
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Here are some (barely legible) Weimar Zoll references (probably by Knotel):
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

2 different Weimar Zoll visors--one has a gold wreath, the other a gold eagle:
                        Attached Files
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Zoll tunic from the Peter L collection with visor:
                          Attached Files
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Zoll visor from the Vaughn O collection--note gold buttons, cord and eagle:
                            Attached Files
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                              Theo, great discussion, and I am always happy to learn.

The Zoll uniforms utilized gold buttons during the Weimar and TR eras. Wouldn't it necessarily follow that they wore gold eagles?

Is it possible that the silver eagle was for Administrative Zoll officials?
                              Chris ,

Indeed good discussion
                              You could be right but I have no more documention available to go further with this subject.
                              Maybe Wim would like to join the discussion ? ( PLEASE )

Wim.... where are you ??

To be continued....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X