No announcement yet.

Tropical M43

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Chris; the cap in post #12 is interesting that indeed it has clear similarities with the subject cap and appears to be a original. Can you show more images?

And of course; your cap in post#14 I would buy in a single heart beat.

Comment

Chris,

Another really nice cap in post # 14, insignia application noted Then what about the earlier M40 design (vs M43) with olona cloth with later insignia & sweatband ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim OK View Post
        Chris,

Another really nice cap in post # 14, insignia application noted Then what about the earlier M40 design (vs M43) with olona cloth with later insignia & sweatband ?
        When it comes to Italian made caps Tim,

it is hard to know what the cut off dates are. They certainly made the single button version and double button M43 from that type of cloth. I can only speculate that the M40 type was phased out by the Italian makers in 1944 but this might not be correct and they may have made them right into 1945.

Here is a picture of Kesselring and an colonel. These might also be Italian made ??? They certainly look Italian made,

Chris

p.s. note the double grommets in both of the officer M43's
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 90th Light; 02-18-2014, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Yes Kesselring was a cap connoisseur. Kesselring's cap appears to be German made...Vet bring back from Italy dated '42.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 02-18-2014, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim OK View Post
            Yes Kesselring was a cap connoisseur. Kesselring's cap appears to be German made...Vet bring back from Italy dated '42.
            Sensational cap Tim, & love that Edelweiss button! Very neat.

Comment

Yes agree the cap is sensational. The owner has something very special. The cap's photos are from another thread here on the WAF. It has the same CW stamp that is found on the CW tropenhelm's and M40's

Comment

Love the cap Tim, a Rare cap for sure, Missing in most collections.

Mike.

Comment

Thanks Mike,

Here's a little more info. The cap's ear flaps are lined with blue/gray wool.

In Dal McGuirk's great book, "Rommel's Army in Africa" on page #11, Kesselring is wearing this same model cap in 1942 on a trip to Afrika. There are a few photos of Kesselring in Afrika wearing this cap in 1942.

Also in the Schiffer's, Kurtz, "Afrikakorps" book on page #161, there is a LW Sonderfuhrer wearing this same type cap, though maybe it has a tropical LW eagle ?

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                    When it comes to Italian made caps Tim,

it is hard to know what the cut off dates are. They certainly made the single button version and double button M43 from that type of cloth. I can only speculate that the M40 type was phased out by the Italian makers in 1944 but this might not be correct and they may have made them right into 1945.

Here is a picture of Kesselring and an colonel. These might also be Italian made ??? They certainly look Italian made,

Chris

p.s. note the double grommets in both of the officer M43's
                    ... when it comes to Italian made caps ... AMEN !!! that's why any single italian cap is a challenge , every soldier has his own personal / private modification ; imagine that our officers once landed in Africa ( East in the '30 or North Africa WWII ) had to buy their sun helmet in private stores because Army wasn't giving them an official headgear .

best

Paolo

Comment

yeah i think its a post war fantasy hat.
                      I mean why would germans put green cloth on desert stuff.
                      In normal m43s there would be a silver eagle that fits onto the m43 nicely not weirdly like this.
                      Also the stitching on the beak looks very strangely modern. I think it could be a touristy piece for those who think this is authentic. However i would love to learn and collect desert Korps hats and tunics. So i really don't know but this is my opinion.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X