Salty SS M43

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salty SS M43

I just got this cap as a trade item, and like 99% of the "SS" M43s I figured it would be a cobbled together piece.

It may yet be a put together M43, but it's a very convincing cap. It's not a classic SS featured cap, but it appears to have had the SS insignia on it for ever. There is no sign, based on the considerable nap wear, that Army insignia was ever present.

The cap has been stored flat for a very long time. I can't open the bill without forcing it apart, it has been stored folded for so long.

The black thread used on the insignia is bleached tan on the top, but it's black where it goes into the cap body - really hard to fake all that color loss chemically without affecting the skull black backing or green wool body.

The insignia itself shows interesting wear, with the chin on the skull worn from the top flap, and the side eagle is worn INTO the material.

Not too hard to give a thumbs up to a nice two-piece machine sewn, single button cap made from the right stuff. This cap is an interesting study - we know that lots of two-button M43's started life as SS, and I suggest this may be one of them.

For your consideration and comment.

regards, Robert
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

damage on eagle looks like typical demage on side caps eagles.

Comment

Chin damage -
          Attached Files

Comment

Standard interior, with faded markings (year, size?)
            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The bill has been folded so long together that I can't spread it open
                Attached Files

Comment

Robert,I have three question :

- There is only the size marking or iven a RbNr code/maker marking ?
                  - The material used on the loops is the same of the lining?
                  - Can you post a better pics of the loops ?

Thank you

Comment

I've seen this one for sale some months ago.
                    Looks like an honest cap to me. Most likely the soldier war time-applied the insignia of his side cap to a 'blanc' M43 cap (possible a cap with RbNr stamping - Heer origin? Who will tell)
                    Nice honest original item IMO, but not a purist textbook piece. Nice aquisition anyway!

Kind regards,
                    Gerd V

Comment

Gerd, it does look like a wartime-badged cap to me as well. I agree it is not a purist piece, but a nice example of what you often see in period photos from 1943-1944. Thanks for the opinion.

Emilio, the liner is the same as the pulldowns. There are no RBN markings, just a two-digit number set (probably size) in the crown center. Pull down picture attached.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Alfred, I don't agree that this is stripped insignia from a side cap. Side cap wear is typically centered on the insignia, showing wear along the leading edge of the cap where it folds.

This eagle shows wear along it's width, with the heaviest wear along the top of the eagle including the tops and tips of the wings. This looks more like helmet or just heavy field wear for an eagle thats entire surface was exposed to friction, not just the body of the bird like on a sidecap.

regards, Robert
                        Attached Files

Comment

nice original wartime example

Comment

Originally posted by drbill View Post
                            nice original wartime example
                            I enjoyed seeing this one.. Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
                              Alfred, I don't agree that this is stripped insignia from a side cap. Side cap wear is typically centered on the insignia, showing wear along the leading edge of the cap where it folds.

This eagle shows wear along it's width, with the heaviest wear along the top of the eagle including the tops and tips of the wings. This looks more like helmet or just heavy field wear for an eagle thats entire surface was exposed to friction, not just the body of the bird like on a sidecap.

regards, Robert
                              Here I'm not sure Robert, the type of wear on the eagle combined with its application gives me a little to pause as well although of course it is possible. It is nonetheless a convincing ensemble, no doubt.

But please compare with the eagle on this untouched side cap for example; wear on the entire surface as well.

Best
                              F.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Zauberflöte; 08-17-2013, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X