• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heer M42 cap offered on estand posted for discussion

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=685707

One looker fake imo wool,grommits,markings,etc
    Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
    teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Hello
      Not origine . Coton Inside , Marking . I don't like Grommets Typ . Fake for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny W View Post
        One looker fake imo wool,grommits,markings,etc
        +1, particulary about grommits and markings.

Comment

Heer OS Cap

As the owner of this cap I couldn't disagree with you more. Of course, that is to be expected, isn't it? The comment about the wool I truly don't understand. How can such a definitive statement be made based upon a graphics medium where so many variables exist? However, in response to the comments regarding the cotton lining and groments, I can say with confidence that both conform to several known examples I have both owned and/or examined. The cap came from an impeccable source and I have no doubt as to it's authenticity. Still, I now stand little chance of selling it here because doubt has been cast by "experts". Sadly, so many good pieces get unjustly panned on this site and that is a great shame. I believe that making such hasty pronouncements is a disservice to our hobby and I can't help but wonder why some are so willing to do so with such vigor. I don't intend to be confrontational, I simply believe you are wrong. And I believe my opinion is as valid as yours.

Comment

For comparizon about markings and grommits :

http://184.172.36.50/forums/showthre...ht=CARL+HALFAR

http://184.172.36.50/forums/showthre...ht=CARL+HALFAR

derka
            Last edited by derka; 08-07-2013, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Markings are bad for sure ( in my collection I have Halfar cap and markings are identical like those in the links ) if the markings are bad than everything indicate that also whole cap is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by derka View Post
                +1, particulary about grommits and markings.
                Agree +1, what about the insignia ?

Comment

Heer OS Cap

I’m a bit befuddled. The links proffered in post #6 as proof are hardly conclusive. At best, after over 20 pages of back and forth banter, this thread basically concludes “we’ll agree to disagree.” Nothing definitive is ever established. Is this the “proof” on which my cap is condemned? For that matter, a simple search on the internet for the name “Carl Halfer” revealed countless photographs of hats by this maker which display a myriad of differing maker stamps. Simply put, there is no "standard."

As for the link to the grommets, please see the images I have submitted below. Any photo taken at an obtuse angle, regardless of how slight that angle may be, is completely unsuitable for comparison. Such is the case with the referenced example. Unless taken at 90 degrees to the subject, the image will result in a distorted representation of the size and shape. The smaller the subject, the more critical this proves to be.

Except for the circumference of the center hole, which is distorted by the angle of the photo, the grommets appear identical- save for wear. The referenced photos are clearly of a cap that had been well used and on which the grommets have begun to corrode. Such is not the circumstance with my cap. Simply put, mine is in much better condition.

I have presented my belief with objective facts in support, not supposition and inconclusive inference. Not merely repeating the opinion of others who often have less than altruistic intentions. As I said before, I have absolute confidence in this cap and I believe my opinion is as valid as any.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Let me start by saying that I am not getting warm fuzzies from the "Carl Halfar" M42 cap which started this thread. Several indicators are clearly spelling out extreme caution.

There are clear and consistent manufacturers footprints to look for in any cap by a certain maker such as "Carl Halfar". Just like badges. In 95 out of 100 examples this holds up every time. Do we see any clear Carl Halfar manufacturing footprints in the cap which started this thread ???

One of the factors which is misunderstood by collectors today, is the use of sub-contractors by big brand cap makers in Germany during the war. There is clear evidence that to meet some large orders. Some of the work or component parts were sub-contracted out to meet the the dead-line. This was discussed on another thread concerning the differences in the placement of a soutache on two Carl Halfar tropical M40's. These two caps were 101% correct in every way but just a bit different from each other in regard to how the soutache was attached at the bottom of the cap. The answer, use of sub-contractors or cottage industry components. Are there any signs of subcontractor manufacture with the cap which started this thread ???

Another point worth noting; In tropical caps, The "Halfar" maker stamps vary for 1940, 1941 and 1942. They seem to have used a different stamp for each year, branch and sub-contractor ? Does the font of the stamp in the cap which started this thread match any of these known & proven fonts ??? .

Below are a couple of threads about Carl Halfar M43's to provide a bit more food for thought on the subject. I have added the exterior pictures of the cap which started this thread so you can compare the button holes, flap shape/ size, zig-zag stitch etc. Again I repeat, I am not getting warm fuzzies at all but we must look at the cap from all angles before we conclude,

Chris

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...far+Panzer+cap

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...far+Panzer+cap
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by 90th Light; 08-08-2013, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Chris,

can you post a nice clear straight on shot of the insignia? I don't like it at this angle but who knows a straight shot would confirm it for me. Matt

Comment

Originally posted by afrikasandman View Post
                        Chris,

can you post a nice clear straight on shot of the insignia? I don't like it at this angle but who knows a straight shot would confirm it for me. Matt
                        Not my cap Matt, I attacted the images of the exterior to my last post from the photos shown on the estand. Thus I presume you are addressing this request to "ChrisS5917" who is selling the cap,

Regards, Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X