Gebirgsjager cap opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gebirgsjager cap opinions

Hello guys, I have an opportunity to buy this gebirgsjager cap. It looks good to me, except missing the leather sweatband, and the peak is a slightly different colour. Opinions please?

Mike
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike (flasheart),

There are others on this forum that have far more experience on known fakes (etc.) and I hope they chime in to help you. Here are some pointers I have and I hope they are helpful to you.

Though the overall shape and configuration are correct, there are some features missing that would help to qualify this cap as a Bergmütze. This does not rule-out the cap being original, but as a collector this may make your buy/no-buy decision easier.

Missing: rounded flap ends; Steinnuß buttons; double-seam around the crown.

Concerns: the cap eagle patch looks like it may have been applied recently.

Good: overall shape of cap and visor; color and quality of wool and lining; ventilation eyelets; single-stitching around flap ends; no loops on the flaps (like the M-43); the cap patch looks original; the Edelweiß look original.

Don’t know: construction techniques and details – stitches; button sewing technique; the little prongs on the ventilation eyelets.

As always – perform the standard burn and black-light tests.

I don’t mind caps having wear-and-tear type issues (stains, damage, missing sweatband). It impacts the value but it is something to be expected of an authentic military item.

As a collector who doesn’t have money to burn, I find it helpful to establish the parameters (features) I’m looking for, as opposed to accepting anything that could be authentic. In other words, the item I’m looking MAY in fact be authentic, but if it doesn’t have exactly what I want, I can reject it.

On the other hand, when I started out, I was desperate for anything, so my standards were much lower. Therefore, years ago I would have considered buying the cap you are showing, but today I wouldn’t and in fact I would not even spend any time trying to authenticate it.

I hope this helps.

Comment

cap

It appears your cap is likely an M-42 cap with added bill. The insignia may be replaced, but this is an acceptable war-time conversion of an M-42. Is the marking inside legible? No leather sweatband would be likely in the converted style.

Comment

Pauke,
                I don't have a lot of experience with M-42's, but your idea is very plausible in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                  It appears your cap is likely an M-42 cap with added bill. The insignia may be replaced, but this is an acceptable war-time conversion of an M-42. Is the marking inside legible? No leather sweatband would be likely in the converted style.
                  Agreed, bill is constructed from different wool than body; likely M-42 conversion.

Comment

Agreed. most likely a M42-M43 conversion! Is there a better image of the crown area?
                    Perhaps later added T eagle + edelweiss , restorer thinking it was a bergmutze because of the grommet!...
                    or issued like this...who knows? Either way all components are real!

Comment

I would agree with the coversion side of it, bill is added that looks fairly clear with the two colours of wool, If your after a
                      true Geb Bergmutze I would pass on this cap and wait for something better.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X