Where have all the visors gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where have all the visors gone?

I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not it would be possible to orchestrate some sort of online event - perhaps once per month or once per quarter - during which we as collectors could offer up quality pieces to one another without the influence of dealers. I'm not talking about an online auction or online show, but just some sort of virtual meet-up where we could trade/sell/swap whatever pieces we've grown tired of and would like to move on.

I don't know if its just me, but I feel like there has been a significant drop in the number of quality pieces available on the market. I'm speaking in terms of both the e-stand and dealer sites. I have been searching for certain caps for months and have come up empty handed, perhaps others feel the same way.

As one of the younger collectors, I figured something like this may serve to stimulate interest a little moving forward.

I'd like to hear everyones thoughts. I just think this thing we call a hobby needs a shot in the arm or something.

Not just visors, but all areas seem a bit quiet.

Comment

Basel, I feel your pain. High-quality (dare I say "stone-mint"?!) visors were much more plentiful in the pre-recession days. I think what is going on is that a lot of people are holding on to their top-tier pieces waiting for "The Great Recession" to end. What you are seeing for sale (on auction, dealer sites, and on e-stands) are average to above-average quality items, with the high-quality/rare items being few and far between.

PS--to anyone who reads this, I am willing to pay 2006 prices now....
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Agree with Stoney! It has been pretty much barren looking for top quality visors but if you think about it.... the wives are happier we can spend more on them!

Comment

Disagree

Disagree,

Mike
          Attached Files

Comment

Mike, I am not taking the position that no top-quality visors have come to market--they have, but not in the quantities they did at the peak of the economy, say 2007. Granted, I am a picky SOB, but 6 months into this year I have found only 5 lids which met my criteria (yes, I bought them all). But back in '07, 5 hats per month was typical....
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Mike,

Send a few leads my way! BTW - gorgeous interior on this visor; please show the rest.

Comment

I think it would be a good idea.

Cheers, Pat

Comment

Agree

Stonemint,

In that regard, I would have to agree with your observations.

It is, indeed, much harder and I think "Uncle Art" would also agree.

MIKE

Comment

I would agree that people are holding on for the prices to come back. However, that would mean that they expect demand to increase in the long run, and I just don't see the youth of today (adults of tomorrow) suddenly trading Xbox, iPads, and Google Glass for WW2 relics to which they have no connection. In no scenario will demand for WW2 German militaria increase.

I know this has already been discussed at length in a great prior thread, and there were diverse thoughts on where the market is going. I think one thing everyone agreed on was that extremely nice items will always command a premium, which I agree with; the question is what will benchmarks be like and how big will the premiums actually be? Frankly, I just don't think there is much upside to militaria as an investment moving forward.

I don't want to make this all about market speculation -my initial intent was to brainstorm ways we could make this more interesting (besides dying to see what ErichK is going to list next on the e-stand)

Comment

I think this has some cool potential to it. Hell im willing to do some trading as im sitting pretty heavy on PzGrn visors. I am in need of a nice Pz NCO and Kav NCO visor (marked to Kradschutzen or Schutzen Rgts prefered) to top off a couple of new waffenrocks... Willing to do some trading, hit me up! Matt

Comment

Originally posted by BaselA View Post
                        I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not it would be possible to orchestrate some sort of online event - perhaps once per month or once per quarter - during which we as collectors could offer up quality pieces to one another without the influence of dealers. I'm not talking about an online auction or online show, but just some sort of virtual meet-up where we could trade/sell/swap whatever pieces we've grown tired of and would like to move on.

I don't know if its just me, but I feel like there has been a significant drop in the number of quality pieces available on the market. I'm speaking in terms of both the e-stand and dealer sites. I have been searching for certain caps for months and have come up empty handed, perhaps others feel the same way.

As one of the younger collectors, I figured something like this may serve to stimulate interest a little moving forward.

I'd like to hear everyones thoughts. I just think this thing we call a hobby needs a shot in the arm or something.
                        I couldnt agree more, the problem is how do you stop stealers from coming? How do you know they wont just take on an alias, or have someone buy in their place? Its impossible to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Everett View Post
                          Stonemint,

In that regard, I would have to agree with your observations.

It is, indeed, much harder and I think "Uncle Art" would also agree.

MIKE

"Uncle Art"--I like that....
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdibbs88 View Post
                            I couldnt agree more, the problem is how do you stop stealers from coming? How do you know they wont just take on an alias, or have someone buy in their place? Its impossible to stop.

I was thinking that we could do something invite only, or referral only - meaning you'd have to know someone to get in. I think we all have a decent network of people we've dealt with that we can vouch for.

By the way, can someone explain the "Uncle Art" reference? Haha

Comment

Caps

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                              "Uncle Art"--I like that....
                              I also like the "Uncle Art" quote.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X