Short billed M43 cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short billed M43 cap

Picked this up the other day and would like to get your opinion of it. I got this cap the day before I bought this grouping which is from a different vet.

I love the fact that this cap has a shorter bill than most M43 caps I see. Has plenty of caricature and has defiantly been there. The liner has no markings at all and is a little worn. Has a couple of field repairs.

I have read that the short billed cap are attributed to the mountain troops. Is there anything that holds true to that belief?

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files

3, 4
    Attached Files

Comment

5, 6
      Attached Files

Comment

7, 8

The last picture is the little grouping of "stuff" I bought the next day. Most of these items will be with me at the Roberts Center show June 14/15.
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks field tailor made..thanks for sharing..Billbert

Comment

Nice cap!

It does share some features as the Heer-Gebirgsjäger Bergmütze (Army Mountain Cap) Such as the high sides, high peak, double button front, and teardrop shape a bit.. but it has standard heer insignia, not the T shaped insignia for mountain infantry. Could just be a 'private purchase' designed after the mountain cap.

Any signs of an Edelweiß being sewn on?

Comment

I checked both sides of the cap and I could not see any holes for threading or any loose threads for that matter either. Also, no discoloring (darker shade) as to having anything that would represent an insignia was ever placed there. The "standard" Army insignia threw me a little vs. the "T" shape insignia but honestly, never gave it any consideration at the time. As been mentioned, may be a private purchase cap but certainly one that has seen some time and action.

Comment

Way too rough to be a private purchase item..DEFINITELY made in the field by the company tailor or similar venue out of scraps..QUITE REAL !! that's for showing... Billbert

Comment

Somewhat like..looks like same lining material used..Billbert

http://therupturedduck.com/WebPages/Otherhdgr/hg24.htm

Comment

Originally posted by billbert View Post
                    Somewhat like..looks like same lining material used..Billbert

http://therupturedduck.com/WebPages/Otherhdgr/hg24.htm

Thank for the threads to Bills web site. I viewed this cap and the others on his page and all are fantastic and different in some way. One with the single vent holes looks close to mine too and I would suspect that being made by the company tailor no two will look exactly alike.

All in all, the one I have is a wonderful example and one I will hang onto for a long time.

Thanks.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X