Gebirgsjager-bergmutze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gebirgsjgr View Post
    One last note. I have observed many BMs that looked to be “issue”, but were missing one or more standard features. The double-stitching around the crown seems to the most common feature dropped, followed by the rounded flap ends. I believe that in the 1942-1943 timeframe, as more Gbj uniforms were needed (see above about the Jäger and W-SS), that other field cap makers (that were not familiar with the BM pattern and construction techniques), produced BMs as best they could.

Unfortunately, much that we are discussing here is purely conjecture. The evidence is slight and we are just trying to make some kind of sense of it all.
    Using the Bermützen photos/discussions available on this forum, it would appear (to me, anyway) that Munich depot-marked caps are reasonably consistent insofar as basic traits are concerned. Pre-1941 caps have the double-seam crown attachment, front stiffener, and full leather sweatband. Pre-1939 caps usually don't have vents while post-1939 do. M42 depot caps appear to have the M43-style crown attachment, 2 vents/side, and cloth undersides to the visor, and no front stiffener. Given the above, there is a fair amount of pattern variation seen on the depot caps -- despite their still sharing these common traits.

I'm trying to learn but outside of Munich depot-marked caps, my knowledge is extremely limited. My knowledge of depot caps isn't much better. Lots to learn

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X