Mid-war Heer M34 cap for comments please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid-war Heer M34 cap for comments please

I have been looking for a well-worn example of a mid-war Heer overseas cap and I think I may have found it. This one shows heavy wear with a lot of worn nap and grime. The wool is a fairly coarse wartime type with a mottled appearance and there are little pieces of recycled fibers or wool waste mixed in. It has been customized by the wearer, the side flaps are sewn in place with a couple of little stitches at the top of each side so they cannot be turned down. The insignia are hand-sewn, the hat is a large size. I am eager to hear any comments on this cap, I am grateful for any opinions.
    Attached Files

Front and inside
    Attached Files

Comment

Grommets inside
      Attached Files

Comment

Grommet outside
        Attached Files

Comment

There are very faint traces of former markings in the lining, almost impossible to discern.
          Attached Files

Comment

Outside
            Attached Files

Comment

Insignia
              Attached Files

Comment

Last photo showing the color and nap difference under the flap. Thanks in advance for feedback.
                Attached Files

Comment

Chris,

Cap looks fine to me, a nice Heer M34 side cap.

Comment

cap is original - but what let you think that its a mid war example?

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyStrike23 View Post
                      cap is original - but what let you think that its a mid war example?
                      Maybe lack of soutache? J

Comment

Thanks for the help on this, I appreciate it. I have examined this carefully and don't believe that this cap ever had a soutache, this would indicate manufacture after mid-1942.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pittman View Post
                          Thanks for the help on this, I appreciate it. I have examined this carefully and don't believe that this cap ever had a soutache, this would indicate manufacture after mid-1942.
                          in that case - yes. Although I have not seen many side caps that never had a soutache. Mostly it was removed.

Dark green insignia (if original applied) would indicate indeed a pre war cap.

Comment

Of course, I had not even considered the insignia pattern, you are right. The lining material and what remains of the markings, I believe, would fit with an early time frame also. I suppose the heavy wear obscures the traces of the removed soutache.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X