Finnish caps or....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finnish caps or....?

Hi guys,i just found these 2 fur winter caps at the flea market this morning but please can you help me with opinion on it..
    I was told that these were ww2 finnish winter caps...
    Please thanks for your opinion on these caps...
    Thanks for your time and knowledge..
    Best
    Martin
    Attached Files
    Last edited by martin guerre; 04-14-2013, 06:07 PM.

hyu
    Attached Files

Comment

yuio
      Attached Files

Comment

second cap...
        Attached Files

Comment

second cap
          Attached Files

Comment

hhjg
            Attached Files

Comment

jj
              Attached Files

Comment

Old Swedish fur cap, can't remember the model but I'm sure some member from there fills the blanks! I think there was also another type w/o the visor.

-Miikka
                Last edited by MASteel; 04-15-2013, 03:46 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I agree with Miikka

The visor cand fold up and fit in a pocket in the front between the outside and the lining.

Comment

Here is link to surplus dealers site selling these with (very) brief history of hat

http://www.varusteleka.com/en/produc...sor-used/12692

"Swedish fur hat M1906, white, with visor, used

12,99 €

A true historical relic, these fur hats were issue stuff for the Swedish army in the early 1900's, and also shipped to Finland, where the they saw active use right up to the Winter War and Continuation War. C.G.E Mannerheim was one of the most famous wearers of this model. These take a ****load of space, so they must go quicker. We reduced the price permanently.

Made of real natural white fur, mostly sheep but with some other rodents mixed in. The visor is made of leather and can be folded inside the hat. The snaps securing the visor inside are almost consistently completely unserviceable and rusted through the fabric. Likewise the leather adjustment strap might be a bit fragile.

The size stamps are mostly faded off, and some hats are a bit shrunken, so we have given the approximate sizes according to our estimates.

Having been made mostly in the first quarter of the 20th century, these have kept rather well. Don't expect to get a perfect hat, though - these are sometimes almost 100 years old. Expect some slight soiling, thoroughly oxidized metal parts, stiffened leather and general "old" feeling. For the serious collectors, we have separated the best of the lot. Priced accordingly. Remember, while the best ones are in overall nicer condition, they are still not perfect."

Comment

Thank you for you help and time guys ....
                      Any pictures of them in wear in the finland winter war or after ?
                      Martin

Comment

Can't recall seeing a period photo from Winter War, IMO these were worn mainly during the Liberation War or right after it.

In 1919-1920 army already got it's "own" regulation fur caps so these could have been worn by Civil Guard after that time. I could be wrong but I recall that original model from this cap was w/o visor and that's the type used in Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X