SS Panzer Officers Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Panzer Officers Cap

...I wish. This cap is being offered, and it looks nice from a distance. It shows age, and nothing glows or burns incorrectly.

It appears to be an old fake to me. The materials, including a nice eagle, are original. The black cardboard band stiffener appears either very well preserved or replaced, and someone trimmed part of the liner with those damning pinking shears (but not all of it). Stitching is loose around the liner material, permitting a good look at the interior piping and minimal padding along the crown.

Stitching is visible along the base below the bottom row of piping, but no other signs of reattachment.

Anyway, presented for your comment. It would be great to be wrong on this one, but don't think that's likely.

regards, Robert
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RobertE; 03-08-2013, 08:15 PM.

Replaced and likely bad skull...
    Attached Files

Comment

Quality velvet and wool piping...
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

All seems to be joined nicely...
          Attached Files

Comment

Shown above it the liner stitching - pretty heavy. I've seen the machine drop out of line before, bit this is more than I've seen in any cap I've owned or examined.

As with most caps, the interior is where the wheels start to come off the car. It has a nice original sweatband, liner material, and modest maker.
            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The black pasteboard band, with staples and hand basting at the top.
                Attached Files

Comment

The pinking shear cut is only in some places, like it was trimmed. Liner was neatly folded except where the liner came loose and settled.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Anyway, looks like a 30 year old attempt at building something cool.

regards, Robert
                    Attached Files

Comment

What exactly do you want to know about this hat?

Comment

Nothing. I'm posting this to help build understanding of what can happen to a nice army cap. It should help illustrate some of the informative pieces posted by Phild and others that discuss frankenstein caps - lots of text but light on pictures.

I am posting this for what it it - a rebuilt cap intended to look like an SS panzer cap.

regarads, Robert

Comment

Not the best - but . . .

How debilitating . . . another one . . . and yet so brilliant at first glance.

This is why what follows behind us, will someday shun what comes after us.

Call it Karma, I suppose . . .

Comment

Another in a long line of victims of Mr Pinking Shears .....
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X