Panzer EM side cap (Panzerjager)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer EM side cap (Panzerjager)

Here's a really nice and hard to find cap for the Panzerjager troops. The eagle and cockade are hand sewn and the waffenfarbe chevron in rose pink is machine sewn. There is a small "L" shaped tear that was really nicely repaired. Doesn't detract at all. Nicely marked.

Price is $650.00 plus shipping and fees.
    Attached Files

Note the small "L" shaped tear on the top.
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

You don't find it odd that it is marked with tunic sizes?

>
        "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

That never occurred to me before, but now that I look at it... looks like a tunic size stamping!

The cap seems good though. Go ahead and pull it if you don't feel comfortable with it because of the stamping. I don't know what faker would go to the trouble to make a perfect side cap (proper construction to the last detail and all original insignia) and then do something that weird. Even the talentless fakers have a size 58 stamp laying around.

Very, very strange!

** just looked at it again. It's a real cap so what is the story with the tunic stamp? Recycled lining from the factory? Maybe we need a discussion thread.
          Last edited by Box_Rebellion; 03-11-2013, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Here's two more photos. The stamping was on the cloth prior to construction. The center seam is sewn over it. The waffenfarbe chevron is attached the proper way (color outside, field grey inside). All details are correct.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Box_Rebellion,
              Are you using a flash with taking these pictures?
              The rose pink soutache you mention is extremely hard to confirm from these pics to be honest.
              I would like to see better inside close up pics of the eyelets and external views.
              The cotton twill liner looks ok but as Glenn has mentioned a little odd for stamped tunic sizes to appear inside and across the center seem, usually markings are to one side however there can be an exception.
              I do like the way it sits to one side looking at it from the front.
              If you can please supply sharper pics,,, these are way to blurred so you can perhaps get more confirmed opinions.
              cheers
              nco

Comment

Here's some outside shots. It's a nice, original cap. Every detail that should be there is there. The grommets are the early type. I have seen these caps with two types of lining material to avoid waste, now I see that thriftiness taken to the extreme!
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I've got a bad feeling I don't like the colour difference of the liner parts...perhaps made out of a jacket? I knew a belgian guy in the CZ Republic that made repro items out of original coats in bad condition. He used original cloth and thread buttons etc...so you only needed some original insignia to make a real fake!!!

Carles

Comment

Originally posted by Box_Rebellion View Post
                      Here's some outside shots. It's a nice, original cap. Every detail that should be there is there. The grommets are the early type. I have seen these caps with two types of lining material to avoid waste, now I see that thriftiness taken to the extreme!

The makers stamp "UNAG FFM" is a known period maker of uniforms (I have owned a few by them) I have never seen this maker stamped in hats.

So,if this lining was taken out of a lining in a tunic and used to make this hat then why did the maker not stamp it with the usual hat makers stamps and head size?

How about a closeup of the interior grommets?.. Most likely it is all original "parts" but for me it is still a post war creation.

Glenn
                      "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Most original caps I have seen that have used uniform cloth in the manufacturing were mid-late war. I don't believe this early cap to be one of them.

I do think it is nicely made and certainly a smart effort, but among things such as the application of the cockarde, I do not believe this cap to be original.
                        Sorry.

F.

Comment

Why a faker would do this is a mystery to me
                          I like everything and could be a period piece in my opinion.
                          I also would like to see the grommets.
                          Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

A faker would NOT go to the trouble to make a perfect M34 cap with all the details right and then use a stamped piece of cloth from a tunic -- why not flip it over and use the unmarked side? The repair sewing on the cockade is actually a sigh of originality, not reproduction. I've seen fake age and wear in plenty of caps, this one has all the things you want to see in a real one.

Another piece for the "just when you thought you've seen it all" file.

Comment

Originally posted by Box_Rebellion View Post
                              ... The repair sewing on the cockade is actually a sigh of originality, not reproduction.....
                              I did not take it as a repair but as a irregular attachment, that may change my observation.

As a side note. That is a often repeated argument: "why ruin a perfect garment with a bad marking". Fortunately that is often the give away in perfect fakes and a dangerous assumption to think something must be original because of it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X