Cloth Headgear Experts Please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JasonA View Post
    I would say that the eagle on the Luft Panzer M.43 is likely bad. Could be foreign as Matt indicated, but the swaz is terribly done and the eagle itself is blocky.

J-
    Jason,

im about 97% sure its bad as well, but the pics are not the best.. pretty sure the whole cap is probably bad but who we would need a few more pics to confirm. Matt

Comment

h
      Attached Files

Comment

Woah, I think this is what Frankenstein must have felt like when all the angry villagers surrounded the castle! At any rate, I have close ups of the AK headgear everyone doesn't like and what I would like to know about is the marking inside? Where these hats standardized across all manufactures? Maybe there was only one manufacture? Intelligible responses only need apply.
        Attached Files

Comment

yep, maybe

Originally posted by besslein View Post
          bevo insignia on black SS side cap are original.

cheers,
          Paulmann

Comment

Don't think anyone is angry and surrounding your castle, you asked for opinions and are getting them. Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth about items and they get angry. Your buddy may have a legit tropical overseas and some pieces here and there might be originals but the majority are all bad. Matt

You can still hold out hope for the Heer Tropical overseas cap at this point and maybe even that SS cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Bern View Post
              Woah, I think this is what Frankenstein must have felt like when all the angry villagers surrounded the castle! At any rate, I have close ups of the AK headgear everyone doesn't like and what I would like to know about is the marking inside? Where these hats standardized across all manufactures? Maybe there was only one manufacture?

Intelligible responses only need apply.
              Or not bother at all. If you don't like the answers, don't ask questions.

Comment

In fairness to Shawn, I don't think he implied that the criticism was unjust, just that his collector friend will probably be upset - he's going to have to be the messenger, after all. This is actually a very instructive thread and cautionary tale - there are going to be a considerable number of "lifetime" collections that will be coming on to the market in the next few years as longtime collectors pass on or liquidate - it is an important reminder that many of these will have a lot of suspect items in them and you can never be too careful. I have seen another recent liquidation that had original insignia on reproduction uniform items and vice versa mixed in with original items. Caveat emptor, especially with the high-end stuff.

Don
                Last edited by DonC; 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I agree with Don. I would like to see more pics of the HG Panzer M43 as it is one of the hardest to find pieces of Luftwaffe headgear.
                  WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Based on images 17 & 18, the tropical sidecap looks to be a good one.

1941 "LAGO-Berlin" is a very desirable example because these were used in Afrika and are often one of the maker's encountered directly from veterans,

I hope he did not give this away or trash it

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                      Based on images 17 & 18, the tropical sidecap looks to be a good one.

1941 "LAGO-Berlin" is a very desirable example because these were used in Afrika and are often one of the maker's encountered directly from veterans,

I hope he did not give this away or trash it

Chris
                      Haven't seen anyone ever trash their high-end fakes--they all end up on "obscure" auction sites such as Gunbroker, Proxibid, iCollector, or germanmilitariacollectibles--all sold as guaranteed pre-May, 1945 originals, of course (with no right of return).
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                        Haven't seen anyone ever trash their high-end fakes--they all end up on "obscure" auction sites such as Gunbroker, Proxibid, iCollector, or germanmilitariacollectibles--all sold as guaranteed pre-May, 1945 originals, of course (with no right of return).
                        I would be more than happy to have no right of return on that tropical side-cap. "LAGO's" are so hard to find. They are a lot harder than a "Halfar" and the Halfar's are hard enough.

That is a desirable one for sure,

Chris

Comment

Lots of LAGO's in the beehive cache, not that hard to find unless you mean a used worn LAGO cap. Photos are so poor can't tell if this LAGO cap is used or another from the beehives ? What about that soutache looks thin and shiny ? again could be the poor photos....also some would say those grommets are to sloppy but actually they are fine and original.

Agree with the others, shows how hard it is to tell good from bad without good photos and that many older collections are full of fakes...

Comment

Yes Tim, I was not clear enough

I will happily buy any tropical LAGO side-cap or billed M40 cap with this makers stamp and a 1940 or 1941 date (even 1942).
                            Just send me an email with your price.

I am not aware of any with this version of this makers stamp in the "Beehive" find,

Chris
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 90th Light; 02-15-2015, 09:44 PM.

Comment

This is the type of LAGO's found in the Beehive find,

Chris
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim OK View Post

What about that soutache looks thin and shiny ? again could be the poor photos....
                                From what little I can see in this image of the soutache, there looks to be a feature unique to LAGO's with this stamp.

However, I agree better images wound help for sure,

Chris
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X