Luft m-43 with Hand Sewn Trapazoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luft m-43 with Hand Sewn Trapazoid

I was going through my Luft M-43 caps and found one with a hand sewn trap. It is sewn so well, it took me a while to see the threads. From where I got it, I could not believe the trap was reapplied post-war.

The sewing is a very careful straight stitch, not the usual loop stitch you see on reapplied insignia.

What say you cloth cap afficianados?

Bob Hritz
    Attached Files
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Any skilled/ experienced seamstress can do that Bob. The million dollar question is, before May 1945 or after ?

Does the cap have a makers name/ RB number ? What is the application/ sewing of the insignia on other caps by that maker like ? Did this maker apply traps to their M43 caps or did they just apply the eagle and cockade ? This is where you will find the answers.

If there is no maker/ number and you can not match it against another known untouched original then its any ones guess I suppose. Yours as good as mine,

Chris
    Last edited by 90th Light; 01-17-2013, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Markings in the Luft M-43 cap.

Bob Hritz
      Attached Files

Comment

Cheers Bob,

excellent stamp and date. You have what you need

I will go dig some of mine out and see if I have one by that maker. I am sure however, that one of the other M43 or LW collectors will not be far away with an answer,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
          Markings in the Luft M-43 cap.

Bob Hritz
          Re applied insignia imo Bob
          Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
          teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Thank you, Lenny. Should it be a trapezoid or two piece insignia?

Bob Hritz

Comment

I do have one by that maker Bob and my one matches these two that member "STUG III" posted here on WAF. I have added images of his cap (STUG III) here for you to see to save time taking photos of mine.

Chris
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 90th Light; 01-17-2013, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Here is another of STUG III's caps. the insignia on this matches my one and is what one consistantly sees from this maker. Note the application of the eagles verses the cockade

I do not ever recall seeing one with a trap,

Chris
                Attached Files
                Last edited by 90th Light; 01-17-2013, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny W View Post
                  Re applied insignia imo Bob
                  Agree Lenny, the trap was designed for quick machine application.

Good intel Chris.
                  Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Thank you, Lenny. Should it be a trapezoid or two piece insignia?

Bob Hritz
                    2 piece as Chris illustrated
                    Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
                    teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

M43

Thank you 90th Light for using my caps as a reference, this why they are posted. Please feel free, at anytime, to do so. I agree with Lenny though Bob, this is a post war reapplied insignia. DL.

Comment

Thanks John and Lenny,

I really like the way that LW M43 caps are often always maker marked with an RB number and one can compare consistant manufacturer footprints,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by STUG III View Post
                          Thank you 90th Light for using my caps as a reference, this why they are posted. Please feel free, at anytime, to do so. I agree with Lenny though Bob, this is a post war reapplied insignia. DL.
                          Thank you STUG III,

they are excellent examples by this maker and it saved me having to lug out the camera when my one is probably not as good as your ones,

Chris

Comment

OK, so it should be a machine sewn bevo roundel and a hand sewn eagle.

Thank you,
                            Bob

Comment

OK, so it should be a machine sewn bevo roundel and a hand sewn eagle.

Thank you,
                              Bob
                              It is interesting Bob,

that your trap is neatly hand sewn on as are the eagles on the other M43's by this maker. I suppose that might open up the possibility of a war time hand applied trap but your example would be the first ever seen, so the chances are not great.

The reason that I speculate, is because you seemed certain of where your one has come from. Of course always a case of judge the item not the story but you have had items over the years from some very crediable sources to say the least.

Unless we saw another with a hand applied trap then I do not hold a lot of hope but there is always an off chance that some other collector who has one like yours by that maker, sees this thread and post theirs.

Otherwise it looks like this maker consistantly applied the two badges to their LW M43's in the fashion shown,

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X