Sperrle Visor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sperrle Visor

I have been asked a lot of questions about this visor. Yes, I like it from what I see in the pics. No, I have never seen it in person. No, I did not know Pete Malone (nor do I know the seller). Provenance to Sperrle, like the seller, I can't say (maybe you photo guys can find a pic of him wearing it).

Peterson was not a hat maker, but a distributor. I have only seen one other cap marked by this company (another LW).

Yes, the wool backing to the swaz is not completely trimmed--no big deal to me. Yes, it appears original to the cap.

IMHO, it is a killer lid:
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

I would asume this great cap is a large size, as GFM Sperrle looks as if he was about a size 54 long, with a noggin to match.
    This cap would be the centerpiece of any collection.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Great visor, wish I had the money to buy it!

Comment

Stonemint - Thanks for commenting on this visor - it is very nice looking, but it's good to hear that a guy like you doesn't see any red flags based on these limited photos. General rank visors, as we all know, are a minefield.

As far as the Sperrle connection goes, that's a huge claim. Possible, of course, but any collector buying an item would need more to go on than what has been provided. Otherwise it should be priced as an unnamed visor. Since the owner wants to trade for an FJ camo helmet, he may not be prepared/willing to price it out, or let it go for an outright purchase. If we found a very clear and detailed photo of Sperrle with a match to this insignia, things would look up. But I doubt we'll get that lucky.

The photo links provided below (nice photos!) are either at bad angles or not a match.

J-

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
          I would asume this great cap is a large size, as GFM Sperrle looks as if he was about a size 54 long, with a noggin to match.
          This cap would be the centerpiece of any collection.

Bob Shoaf
          Indeed a fat pig's head

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
            I have been asked a lot of questions about this visor. Yes, I like it from what I see in the pics. No, I have never seen it in person. No, I did not know Pete Malone (nor do I know the seller). Provenance to Sperrle, like the seller, I can't say (maybe you photo guys can find a pic of him wearing it).

Peterson was not a hat maker, but a distributor. I have only seen one other cap marked by this company (another LW).

Yes, the wool backing to the swaz is not completely trimmed--no big deal to me. Yes, it appears original to the cap.

IMHO, it is a killer lid:
            Thank you for your comment on my hat and if anyone needs any close up details please let me know.
            The story about the provenance is was I was told by my friend Pierre Plettinck and old time friend of the late Pete Malone.
            Pete M. started collecting before the war was over and had an incredible collection of German and US items.
            I do agree that General S. head looks giant and the hat should be size 61 al least but if you see in the posted pictures is not wearing the hat down all the way so there is a chance but I'm pretty sure will never know if this was his hat.
            As far as value many ask me how much I would sell it and honestly I have no idea, I collect helmets only and I tried to find a comparable hat for sale or sold and could not find anything.

Giorgio
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ITALIANWARFRONT; 01-10-2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Hugo was a big 'un:

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X