Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wehrmacht overseas cap opinion.

Hi.

A friend of mine has this cap and when he wanted to sell it, the buyer thought it was a copy so my friend wanted to post it here.
    It comes from an old collection here in Norway.
    I have not seen it but here are the pictures I have received.

DeMil
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Inside.
        Attached Files

Comment

Markings.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DeMil View Post
            Hi.

... the buyer thought it was a copy...
            He is right imo.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyStrike23 View Post
              He is right imo.
              i think he is

Comment

Here is a answer from another forum member. I got it as an PM:

It is not a copy but in another version, without air bullions. Normal for the old collectors the nickname for these variants are "model for foreign troops" because many of these were made and used for foreign troops in Wehrmacht (Georgian, Ukrain, etc etc ..)
                but now with internet I see also many photo where the normal German soldiers used these models.
                In my opinion is all original, only another model that is not the normal official one.

Comment

Well - its up to you. If you are happy with that one - than congratulations.

I for myself I know only foreign caps that were modified for use in the German army - never seen that kind of caps before.

By the way the stamp is "Weiler - München". But for a saxon like me München is indeed a foreig country.
                  Last edited by LuckyStrike23; 11-22-2012, 11:53 AM. Reason: ..

Comment

snip the white string...burn it with a match, if it burns away it is cotton...most likely period, if it melts...synthetic...most likely post war....

Originally posted by DeMil View Post
                    Markings.

Comment

I don't think its a conversion cap. Not Pre war Dutch, not Pre war Swedish, nor is it a Pre war Czech conversion. It is relatively close to German in design ( aside that ugly little curvature) , however it has not taken on the air vent grommet.
                      It is not from the other branch with that shape as well. Which is giving it little redeeming qualities for itself other than guiding it closer to the abyss of non originality...

Comment

Looks like a reproduction cap to my eye.

Look at the quality of the wool, it is just too good. May-be before and during 1939, they had wool; that good. Once the war got going however, the quality of German wool mixes declined and progressively became nothing like that.

Looks to be a post war reinactor wool combined with original badges. I have no issues with a cap not having grommet air vents. Every now and then you see such a cap especially private purchase/ tailor made examples. Often such caps do not have the makers name or stamps. This however, does not appear to be such an example although one must give consideration to that possibility. I do not like the shape of the cap. The lining material might be ok for an officer/ private purchase type

Chris
                        Last edited by 90th Light; 12-02-2012, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X