Army M43 Cap with Cotton Trapezoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army M43 Cap with Cotton Trapezoid

I like the looks of these caps - they almost have a tropical look to them. A broadcloth-type liner material instead of HBT or artificial silk/rayon, and one of the cotton trapezoids straight-stitched to the front.

The cotton traps are everywhere - nice to see an originally sewn one on an M43, IMO.

I can't make out the RB number - anybody have an idea which one it could be?

regards, Robert
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Does anyone else have an M43 with one of these later war cotton traps? If so, does anyone have a legible RB number off one?

regards, Robert

Comment

No comments from any of the M43 hat collectors on this one?

Glenn
            "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
              No comments from any of the M43 hat collectors on this one?

Glenn
              I wasn't comfortable with the cap when it was first posted on the estand a few months ago
              Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
              teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Late war cotton trap

is this the insignia you refer to? If so I have one with legible makers code . I didnt consider them that scarce a cap.
                cheers Robert
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes Robert, that's the insignia. I think that for every 20 wool factory produced M43s I've seen, there's been 1 with the cotton trap.

Most of this insignia that I've seen is loose, having not been mounted on a cap. Thanks for posting another example of this insignia fixed to a cap.

regards, Robert

Comment

I'm not really certain why you encounter these embroidered cap insignias (and tunic breast eagles for that matter) in articles from late '44 and early '45. I heard someone suggest that the bombing of Wuppertal caused an interruption of BEVO production. I have no idea whether that is true or not. It is a fact that war production reached a peak in '44 under the management of Minister A. Speer so perhaps other sources of insignia became necessary because of increased production (the printed eagles should also be mentioned). At any rate, these insignias are commonly found on caps and uniforms from this period and should not be attributed to any specific maker (IMO).

Comment

Good comments, OSS. I agree that these were made by several different makers; there are at least three that I know of and probably many more. Like the printed breast eagle and embroidered types used on tunics, they are not as regularly seen as bevo types. I don't think they are rare, but I do think they are neat.

The Germans had a pretty good distribution system and regular bevo birds would have been well distributed prior to any factory disruptions, but it probably had an effect on what was applied. I was interested to see if it was possible to find more examples using the same type of embroidered eagles on the same manufacturers caps, indicating a trend.

regards, Robert

Comment

I just saw this, but I am with Lenny on this one. Outside my comfort zone, but as many of you know, my M43 comfort zone is fairly narrow.

Missed it on estand too.
                        Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

No problem Colorado, there are many folks who their exacting criteria for what they're comfortable buying. I'm happy to hang onto this one, and will interested to see if more of them are posted so we can see if some manufacturers favored this type trapezoid.

regards, Robert

Comment

Robert - Hope you don't mind me asking, is there any history on this cap? Playing catch up here.

Was it bought from another WAF member off estand? Vet pickup, etc? Just curious and trying to learn variations.
                            Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Colorado, it has no history or provinence that I'm aware of. I didn't get it off the estand, and don't have anything to go by, but it's construction features themselves.

regards, Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X