EdelweissAntique

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much does mothing affect value/collectability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much does mothing affect value/collectability?

First let me say that I have no experience with visors,and Im young and broke..But,I found an infantry officers visor locally for $200,but it has some moth damage. Still very intact,just has some holes pretty much all over. I know pictures are necessary,but I'm just wondering if its even worth stressing about since condition isn't great.Unfortunately I cannot get any pictures until this Friday. I'll post pics then,as I need to have it reviewed anyway for authenticity. My concern is that i will NEVER pay the asking price for a nice one,so does it make sense to spend any money on one that's not in great shape?

We all have to start somewhere, sounds like a good starter. Please post photos before you buy, there are wide opinions on what constitutes alot vs a little mothing. Sometimes its better to save a little more money and buy something with fewer issues. Luft, EM peaked caps are reasonable.

Comment

Yes, we need photos for better discussion and judgement.
      Personally, I don't mind few small moth holes, but that depends of the rarity, money one can invest etc. etc.

If I was young and broke, I'd just ron for an original, no matter if there are some moth holes (as long as consistency of the visor is not endangered by them).

Comment

Hi Gerhman,

Mothing, like any other condition gradient, is subjective. There are some people who abhor mothing of any kind, while others are okay with varying degrees of it.

I think most collectors will agree that a piece which has mothing all over it is not desirable, unless it has clear provenance to a famous or well-decorated vet, which gives it some intrinsic value. Mothing (or any other deterioration) is also more forgivable as a piece gets more rare. So a common, un-named, moth-ravaged piece is not worth much to anybody.

A lot of these points have to do with resale value as well. That said, you should always collect what you love.

As a newer collector - or a collector who's branching out to a new area - it's important not to pick up the first thing you see. Review pieces online, go to shows, etc. Sometimes it's easy to think relatively common items are rare. This exposure also allows you to recognize an actual rare item when you're fortunate enough to stumble upon it.

J-

Comment

Amazingly concise and helpful opinions,everyone. Thanks so much for taking the time to help. I work 12 hour days and am unable to get to the place where the visor is located,but as soon as I can get pics,I certainly will. I do like the hat,and the moth damage doesn't bother me,as I prefer a more rustic look on everything I own (cars,clothes,military stuff,you name it)

Comment

Originally posted by dhcoleterracina View Post
            We all have to start somewhere, sounds like a good starter. Please post photos before you buy, there are wide opinions on what constitutes alot vs a little mothing. Sometimes its better to save a little more money and buy something with fewer issues. Luft, EM peaked caps are reasonable.
            Interestingly enough,I'd rather have a LW em version anyway!

Comment

If its got nice bullion insignia and the holes are small and the liner / sweatband are all there then $200 seems a good price . Rob
              God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by GEHRMANN View Post
                Interestingly enough,I'd rather have a LW em version anyway!
                I think you could pick up a nice LW EM cap for $500 - $600 or so. Might be worth saving up for IMO.

Comment

$200 is a good price for decent condition hat even with moth damage. If nothing else, it is a great piece to examine and learn about visor hat construction, insignia attachments, etc.

But heck, if it has a decent visor and sweatband, and original insignia, the parts are well worth the $200.

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X